01 | just as i remembered

I stood in front of a small house, built up with red bricks with white accents on the windows. I slid my hand across the mail box, brushing away the white powder that covered the bronze colored numbers, 2520, glued onto it. The garden was empty and was just a plot of white and patches of dark brown, but the brown grass was covered with snow. The tree in the front yard had almost torn rope and a piece of half rotten wood hanging from the tree. I walked up onto the small porch and looked around.

I'm pretty sure this was the place. Everything is just as I remembered 10 years ago, just a bit more dead. I opened my phone and opened up my messaging app.

= = = = = = = = = =

Mommy: Hey Nora dear, since you've gone back to Toronto, do you mind checking out our rental property to see if your aunt has been taking care of our house?

It's 2520 xxxxxx Street. I'm sure you remember what it looks like. Keep warm.

= = = = = = = = = =

There was a new message.

= = = = = = = = = =

Auntie: Nora, try and get back home around 4. I want you to help me prepare dinner for our family gathering.

= = = = = = = = = =

I groaned. The family celebration was probably to celebrate my early graduation from high school. I slipped my phone into my back pocket.

I peeked through the windows. I couldn't see anything and I quietly knocked on the window, hoping no one was home. The white curtains against the windows were suddenly pulled opened and I saw another person's face. I yelped and took a step back, slipping on the ice hidden beneath the snow.

Crap, I probably just bruised myself really badly, just what I needed.

A tall boy opened the door cautiously. His dark hair contrasted with his pale skin and brown eyes practically staring into my soul.

I groaned from the throbbing pain.

There was someone else. A lady was peeking behind him. His mom? I looked at her and she looked back. She seemed to connect the dots when she pushed the boy aside and I faintly heard her whisper in Japanese, "Go and study." and turned her attention back to me, "You're the niece of the landlord right?"

More like the real landlord's daughter. I nodded and quickly stood up, wincing a little, then bowed slightly.

"I'm Nora, nice to meet you." I struggled with speaking Japanese since I grew up here and in the United States, but it was decent enough to keep a conversation going.

When I looked back up, the boy had already left. The lady turned around.

"Oh, that was my son. He has to catch up on his studies." She beckoned me into the house. "Come in, your aunt told us you'd be coming over today. I'm sure you would want to see your old house."

"Ah, no it's okay." I shook my head, but instead she gently guided me in.

I felt my pocket vibrate.

"Excuse me."

I slipped off my shoes and I unlocked my phone. My mom had sent another text.

= = = = = = = = = =

Mommy: p.s. please don't make a fool of yourself.

= = = = = = = = = =

A little late now don't you think mom? I slid my phone back into my back pocket and took off my jacket.

"We don't have very much but please make yourself at home."

I glanced around. It was simply decorated, but everything was exactly as it was when I was last here. Then I saw a pile of red and yellow on the sofa.

Winnie the Poohs?

I took off my jacket and sat down at the dinner table. I felt goosebumps as I was sitting in the exact same place. She boiled a cup of tea and sat down in front of me.

"So you're going to be our new landlord?" She took a sip of tea. "You're really young."

"What." I almost dropped the teacup.

"Well, your aunt told us that you would be coming to visit and to mail the rent to you."

"A-ah, is that so."

She walked to the room that used to be our former office and brought out an envelope.

"Here's this month's rent. Can I have your address so I can mail future checks to you?"

"I'm not sure where I'm staying yet so don't worry about it, I can come by since I'm currently staying around here." I sipped the tea.

My phone vibrated again. Not just once, but persistently. I ignored the buzzing and after a good fifteen vibrations, I turned it on silent.

"How long have you been living here?"

I opened up the envelope and looked at the name.

Hanyu.

"I lived here until I was 7 and then moved to the States until I graduated high school last semester. I'll be a freshman in college this fall." I slipped the check back into the envelope.

Mrs. Hanyu and I acquainted ourselves with each other. I glanced over at the wooden wall clock.

Four o'clock.

I shifted in my seat. Auntie was expecting me to get home soon.

Mrs. Hanyu noticed me slowly move out of the seat and she glanced at the clock. "Ah, I've kept you here too long."

We finished the conversation as I put my snow boots back on.

"Oh, before I leave." I took out a pen and tore a piece of the flap on the envelope and wrote my cell phone number down, "Contact me when you need me to pick up the rent or need anything. I'll come by again at the end of next month." I bowed. "Thank you for your hospitality."

I left the house and the cold wind greeted me as I left the house. I ran to the bus stop and shivered in the cold.

I looked at my phone. 37 notifications.

I scrolled through the notifications. Twenty of the texts from my best friend from the States, sixteen were from my aunt frantically asking where I was. I scrolled to the last notification, which was for an email. I anxiously opened up the message and I smiled at the subject title.

You're hired!

+ + + + + + + + + +

A/N: Thanks for reading my first chapter of my first fanfic series >u< Decided to publish this today since it's been a year since I joined the Yuzuru fandom~ I'll try and update this every Saturday (: I apologize for any grammar/spelling mistakes in advance///