Thirty-eight | Reagan

I am woken up by someone knocking on the office door. It doesn't feel like I was out long, but I'm up now. The door opens and a man in a suit with a doctor coat over the top. His name is embroidered on the top.

"I'm Dr. Keen." He greets. I sit up and shake his hand. "Mr. Napolitani asked me to look at your back." He has no sign of an Italian accent. In fact he is blonde with blue eyes, he seems American.

My heart warms that he cares so much that he brought in a doctor. "Okay." I simply nod my head.

"If you could stand up for me and turn. Lift your hoodie up for me as well." He orders in a soft tone.

I do as he says slowly. "Is that good?" I ask as I pull up my hoodie.

"Perfect." He answers. I feel his hands touch my back with a soft touch. His hands are smooth, unlike Alonzo's.

He puts his other hand on it and is messaging circles around my back. It hurts. I don't want to say anything because he is a professional, but it's really uncomfortable.

Just when the pain is begging to get unbearable, the door bursts open. We both look to see Alonzo in the doorway. He looks from Dr. Keen to my back, to my teary eyes. "I told you to wait until I was present."

Keen merly glances over. "I have a flight back to America in a few hours, I couldn't have waited."

He is talking back... confidently.

Alonzo let's out a huff as he drops his laptop onto his desk and comes to stand in front of me, flush to my chest. He holds my hoodie up for me, allowing me to curl my cold hands between our chests. He looks around my neck and down at where the doctor is touching me.

"Give her an ultrasound and check her kidneys." Alonzo orders with a frustrated tone.

I can't see what Dr. Keen is doing, but he takes out a small machine. Then suddenly something cold is on my back, I hiss at the sudden frigid temperature. "It'll be cold for only a moment." Keen tells me.

I just nod my head in Alonzo's chest. An object presses into my back firmly and moves around to both the sides of my back. When it crosses over my spine, hitting my bruise I wince, clenching my fists.

"Just a little bit longer." Keen states.

I just nod my head again, biting my lip.

"What do you see?" Alonzo questions.

"I'm not seeing any bleeding, but the right kidney is in fact bruised, not enough to create permanent damage, but enough to inflict pain." Keen explains.

"So what can we do, what can I do?" Alonzo asked in a hurried tone.

A cloth is whipped down my back, collecting the cold gel. "Rest, and believe it or not, to dull the ache, press on the spots for a few seconds." He answers. "It'll bring discomfort at first, but it will help you in the long run."

I just nod my head, not believing him. It would hurt so bad if someone simply brushed onto my back.

"I must get going." Dr. Keen states, beginning to pack up his belongings. Soon he leaves, nodding his head and ducking out the door. I look up to Alonzo to see he is already looking down at me with pity.

"How much pain are you in? Do you need me to get you something? Are you tired?" He rushes out a million questions.

I just stand there looking at him with awe. He seems so concerned. He is normally so cold, but lately he just seems so warm. Anything he says makes my heart swell with his warmth. He isn't as dark as he makes himself out to be.

"I'm fine right now, thanks." I smile up at him.

He looks down at me and we remain like that for a moment or two. "W-why don't you get some rest. I'll wake you for lunch." He says as he turns around towards the couch.

It's honestly not that comfortable is what I want to say, but I just keep my mouth shut.

Then suddenly to my surprise, Alonzo pulls the bottom cushions outward and it folds out into a bed. I gap at it for a while. I've always wanted a futon. They're so cool— a couch and a bed!

"And here." He says as he puts the decorative pillows on it along with a blanket. "Is this okay?"

I nod my head vigorously. "Very, thank you so much!" He came to my side and was about to lift me up but I protested. "I can walk." I giggled as I made my way over to the futon. I lay down into the bed, and immediately I can tell it is much more comfortable than the couch.

Once I pull the blankets over me, Alonzo hands me the remote and kisses my eyebrow. My heart swells once again.

Thoughts?