Chapter 2 - First Words

The afternoon whizzed past, and soon, it was 8th period. 

Never had I been more eager to get out of math class - it was normally something I could bear through. 

But I guess I had bad luck, eh? Because as soon as the bell for dismissal rang, Ingrid and her gang circled me.

"Morgan, do you have any idea who did this?" Ingrid shoved her phone into my face.

"Um... no?" I asked, inching away. "I have somewhere to be. Bye, I'll check it out later, text me-"

Ingrid grabs the sleeve of my hoodie. "Come back here, Morgan. I'm going to teach you a lesson. That boy is mine."

"Which boy?"

Everyone swings around to be met with...

"You," I say breathlessly.

"Yes, me," He said, grinning at me.

"What are you doing?" He asked the girls.

"Teaching this brat a lesson."

"For what? A math lesson?" He asked. "Leave her alone."

I snorted. This boy had a sense of humor. I was starting to grow on him.

"Fine, cute boy. I suppose you want to teach her a lesson on your own."

"Shut up and get out of here." He growled and pointed to the door.

They all trailed out of the classroom. Ingrid stuck her middle finger up at me. "Next time." She whispered so only I could hear.

"You didn't have to do that," I told the boy.

He shrugged it off. "It's not a problem."

"Introductions? I'm Morgan Jay Allen. Don't call me that. Call me MJ."

"Okay, Morgan Jay Allen, I'm Tyler Harrison."

I rolled my eyes. This was better than nothing. Boys would be boys until the world ended.

"So, Tyler Harrison, you didn't have to do that."

"Stand up for you when you were clearly about to get beaten by a bunch of psycho girls? I really feel like I had to."

"Nothing bad was going to happen," I insisted. "She was just upset I got your number. It's normal, really."

He squinted at me.

"Stop doing that," I grumbled after a minute of awkward silence. 

"Doing what?" He asked innocently.

"Looking at me like that."

"I'm not checking you out, if that's what you mean. I was just making sure you were serious."

"What's funny about what I said?"

"You know, it's not normal for people to get upset when a girl gets another guy's number."

I shook my head. "It's normal here."

We held a mini staring contest.

He sighed. "Whatever."

"Anyway, there are cliques. I'm not in a clique, and you defended me, so that means the popular kids hate you."

"Wait, I can't defend you?"

"I'm an outcast," I said simply. "I don't really have friends."

His eyebrows shot up. "Really? I thought you would be one of the popular kids."

"And why is that, Tyler Harrison?"

"You're attractive." Tyler said casually.

My cheeks reddened. What did that boy just say?

"I guess you're different, though. You seem to have a heart."

I stayed silent. What am I supposed to say to thatTyler just smirked and patted my head, which was easy, considering he was about ten feet taller than me.

God.

I hate my height.

I yanked his hand off my head and tossed into the direction of his face.

"You're welcome!" He yelled as I stormed off, but I didn't bother looking at him. I could literally feel his grin from all the way over here.