Chapter 6 - A Spark

When Tyler held my hand, it felt different from when everyone else did. There was... this sort of spark. Like I had been hit by lightning, but it felt good.

Really, really, good.

It was different from all the times Ingrid and her crew of jerks grabbed my arm.

Different from all the times I held my mother's hand.

Different from all the times I held my father's hand.

But you know what it was like? Holding Emily's hand.

And of course, flashbacks. Holding Emily's hand as we hopped and skipped as 7 year olds. Holding Emily's hand when her 2-year-old Collie died. Holding Emily's hand as we both admitted that we were different from everyone else... that I was bisexual, and she was lesbian. Holding Emily's hand as she was rushed into the ICU at the hospital. Holding Emily's hand as she said her last words.

The weeks after Emily's death were tragic. I withdrew from everyone. I refrained from others. I even skipped school, only eating food when my parents forced me to eat.

When I went back to school, everything was different. People treated me different. It was like I was broken glass, like everything was wrong with me.

I hated that.

I hated it so much that I broke ties with my former best friend, Veronica, and begged my parents to let me switch schools. I couldn't bear to see everyone who knew her, to walk in the same places she did.

And my opportunity came. I got admitted to Cornwell High.

2 years ago.