Chapter 12 - Ayn

It took me a long time to get back to the house because my legs were filled with lead. This first interaction with shifter wolves has briefly wrinkled the fabric of time, rolling me back some ten years ago, when I crouched in a cupboard, unable to speak or move, my ears filled with growls and screams and my eyes with darkness.

I pay attention to the movements of my body, to the way the random pinecones press against the soles of my feet because I know that, every step is requesting the blood to flow to the muscles and force it out of stiffness, thus smoothing out those wrinkles one by one, until I am again connected to the present moment. In the present moment, I am safe.

I slip again and again into the past, finally making it to my room after what seems like hours of walking. I decide to anchor myself to reality in what I hope will be an easier way.

"Hi, future Firestarter"

"Hi, Healer. How amazing to hear from you! Did Teresa grant you phone privileges?"

"I have my own phone." I brag, rubbing my thumb over the large device that James gave me so that he can contact me in case of any emergencies. It's actually one of his old ones, fixed with parts from three others.

"Impressive...So Shifters are not as evil as you have feared?"

No use mentioning to Ina the recent wolf attack. It would defeat the purpose of trying to stay in the now.

"I think they are more afraid of me than I am of them." I laugh bitterly, remembering the weird looks I get in the clinic. "But I have to admit, most of them have been very kind to me until now."

"And... have you seen any nice butts?"

I am very tempted to tell her that I have seen all of Kari's nice parts in all their glory but then I would have to explain to her who Kari is, that he is the Alpha's son but maybe also my soulmate. His disappointment at my inadequacy is however so strong, that even the idea of having a flirt with me makes him very angry. But I am not ready to expose my unfortunate romance for Ina to tear it apart with her deprecating jokes, well-intended as they may be.

"Two," I answer truthfully. Kari's and Jordi's. "Both A+."
"Sounds promising. On a different but somehow related note, I am getting ready for my graduation party. My mother is planning this huge thing, the whole Clan is invited. There will be males..." she ends her pitch in the dirtiest of tones.

"How exciting. I wish I was there." I half-lie to my excited friend.

Nobody went home during their time at the Teaching Clan. The elite institution did not have the concept of school vacation like the regular schools had.

Ina however had two years ago the luxury of spending a whole week at home, when her mother took over the Leadership of the Lake Two Clan.

In that week she kissed about ten witch boys and slept with three. She raved about those experiences for months and was looking forward to my firsts more than I did myself because she was desperate to have somebody with whom she could contrast and compare notes.

I want to tell her that I had my first kiss and it has been wonderful, that Kari's lips were firm and his spiky beard tickled in a goose-bumps inducing way and that, when his tongue went a little bit deeper in my mouth, my core shook with pleasure and a tiny sun started to burn hot between my legs. But if I tell her all this, I would have to explain to her who Kari is...and the unfortunateness of it all... and we would end up at the deprecating jokes.

"Can't you ask Teresa for permission?"

"I don't think she will agree...I need too many cards to get there." I tell her weakly. I know I have to ask permission from the Alpha, not from Teresa and I am not looking forward to facing him after today's incident.