Chapter 40 - Kari

When Ayn told me we will have a pup I was beyond myself with happiness. I hugged her and I kissed her and hugged her again, until she mentioned she cannot really breathe, and we jumped around and fantasized what kind of parents we'll be. How we'll hike with our pup in tow and show her or him the world of our mountains and beyond, down West to the Witches Planes. How we'll plant wild strawberries with her or with him in spring and how we'll teach her or him to jump from rocks across streams in summer.

We spoke only once of the possibility that the pup might be a hybrid. I thought my head would explode with anger when my Luna mentioned that we still have the option of raising him or her as a pure shifter. I was terrifyingly loud when I explained to her that, even before having sealed our bond, I had decided that no offspring of mine would live a half life.

This was five months ago and Ayn has had some pregnancy woes. Her hair changed color from a grass green to a deep green, and became all curly.  Her breasts grew two sizes almost overnight, she had to get used to wearing a bra and I had to learn how to remove one in record time. She had the funniest glitches in her core powers, randomly growing plants and shooting out healing waves for no reason.

***

Today we are in bed, typing on our brand new laptops - that Ayn got us through her new connections in the human territories.

I asked her once what she traded for those amazing luxury electronics, she muttered "some plants" and I wanted to believe the plants she was referring to were fertility remedies. When her agreement got us to the top of the list for the newest off-roader model, I started to have slight doubts about my assumptions. But then I thought, as long as she was using her crop as car budget and not smoking it before coming into my bed, I could live with whatever her greenhouse...housed.

As we are working away through our spreadsheets and permission lists, I get to witness another one of my mate's woes, as she slowly taps my elbow to announce:

"I am hungry."

"Cool, mind-link an omega lady to make you a salad and tell them to also get me a sandwich." I say, without taking my eyes off my screen.

"I don't want salad. I want spare ribs" she says very softly and completely ashamed, and I cannot hold in my laughter.

"Ayn, daughter of Morgane and Ray, she who wears Kari's mark, wants to eat forest creatures?"

Her cute frown at my mockery almost makes me feel bad.

"I love pregnant you. Let's drive down to the valley and get you fed."

We drove like regular humans to the village below, over in Rio's territory, because since I found out that she is carrying my pup I get very nervous when she flies. We have a great lunch where I get to finally share a plate of ribs with my mate for the first time since I met her.

We brainstorm about male and female names. It's hard for me, I sensed already some months ago the gender of the pup she is carrying, but Ayn wanted to have the surprise and told me to keep that for myself.

I have a hard time taking my hands off her belly, because the baby seems to appreciate its mother eating meat, and is bouncing around happily, looking for contact with my fingers.

We drive back, planning to have a laugh about her newest pregnancy woe with the whole family and maybe ask my mom to make some extra roast for dinner, but when we arrive at the house my parents are waiting for us outside, with ominous frowns on their faces.

My stomach sinks because I think that something happened with my sister, or Elsa or Timo. As I am rushing to park the car, I mind link Mia.

"M, where are you guys?"