Chapter 46 - Ayn

The rain drops noisily on the balcony and I open my eyes to see Teresa and Sibylle watching me. Teresa is holding my son who is munching at her shoulder. I don't know if I have slept for hours or for some days.

"Where is Kari?" I ask as I reach out my hands to her, so that she can give me my baby.

"Raiding. He's been gone since last night, when Sibylle brought you back."

As Teresa sees my worried look, she reassures me:

"He is not alone. Half of the pack - Xander included - is with him, as well as many of our allies. Ina and Lex have also joined with some friends."

I smile hearing that my witches are raiding along the shifters, but only shortly because, if there is an army heading towards Miro's pack, I have an ask to make.

I call on Storm and he appears in my mind's eye. Despite his beaten up body, with scars and bald places where the fur just barely starts to grow back, Kari's wolf - my wolf - is broad-shouldered and majestic as always, and wiggles his tail at me.

"You summoned me? I am kind of busy right now." He pants, but I hear he is happy to speak to me.

"Please, tell Kari I love him and please, spare the Luna and her pup. Also, Storm, bring me the Beta alive."

I break the connection and I can hardly breathe. I miss Kari so so much.

Sibylle is taking care of my bruised body. I cry hysterically under her tender touch and I have to explain that no, she is not hurting me, and no I don't care about the scars, these are tears of joy and gratitude, because I am finally safe, at home, with my child.

I tell them the story of my captivity and Teresa shudders when I recount the Beta's visits. I explain to them how I made mad plans to escape but, before I could apply them - and potentially killy myself in the process -, I was called to attend to the Luna and found the crack.

I ponder for a moment if I should mention in front of Sibylle that I have loaded all my boxes with poisons using the vial-box sandwich trick, but then I remember that she cannot expel me from school anymore because I am a grown up, and so I also tell that story. Sibylle only briefly frowns, and then laughs. There is a hint of pride in her crystalline cackle.

"What did you use on her?" She asks me in the same tone in which she would have asked me what time it is.

"Ricin" I answer in the same tone in which I would have said it's ten in the morning.

"Good choice, a trusted classic." She says in the same tone in which she would have thanked me for telling her the time.

Lars fell asleep on my chest and I let myself dive in the innocence of his being. At the moment he is neither shifter, nor wizard, but just a handful of beauty and sweet milky smell that I am lucky to still be able to hold.

When Teresa leaves the room to get us some tea, I ask my mentor:

„Sybille, did Defenders really exist?

„Yes"

„Was Luka, son of the River, one of them?"

I would like to think her lips silently form a yes, but I am not sure.

"Are there others?"

"No, not anymore...not that I know of." She sighs with infinite sadness, then looks at me with her kind blue eyes and says:

„Ayn, I have to go back to the Teaching Clan now. Be safe."

After Sybille takes off from my balcony, the rain stops and the clouds dissolve above the peaks, making way for the most beautiful afternoon sun, the one that turns the sky steel blue and makes the air feel crunchy. 

 My most beloved wolf whispers in my head:

"Honey, we're almost home and we're bringing a gift."

-------------

Author's note: I am sorry for the shamefully short chapter. I will compensate by posting the next one later this week. Be safe.