Chapter 39

"Nowadays kids are plain disrespectful to their parents and elders; that has to stop now. I may not know what situation you're in, but I do know what you're going through, whether you believe me or not doesn't concern me."

Beside me Vincent cleared his throat. He wants to talk. Moving aside, I allow him to stand in my place. "Bad things that happen in your life doesn't excuse you lashing out at others who are trying to help you. Just know there are people in the world who have it worse than you. Be grateful for what you have in life because there are others in the world who have nothing and are grateful for having the littlest of things. We have talked to your parents as well, and they have agreed to our arrangements. Those of which you do not need to know."

I look around at the students sitting in the bleachers from the stage we're standing in with a serious expression. This is unbelievable.

"This morning a group of adults came to my office because, apparently" – raising my eyebrows and walking slowly back and forth – "many teenagers were so out of hand that they had no choice but to come and ask for our help. The Shadow Blood pack –my pack – does not disrespect their elders like most of you have." There's a pause as teenagers put their heads down in shame. "Now, as of right now, I'm going to give you all a choice to either right your wrongs or continue with your behavior and have to come face to face with me. Believe me, you wouldn't want to come face to face with me."

It wasn't a lie. If they want to keep acting like this, then I'll be sure to make them regret ever opening their mouths.

"We hope you reconsider your disturbing manners," Vincent said, a hint of a warning laced in his deep voice. "And I hope to not ever hear complaints in the future again."

The teenagers nod their heads.

"Goodbye," we say together.

"Goodbye, Alphas."

He leads us back through the school hallways. Horrible memories forced their way into my mind. These were the same hallways I used to be bullied in every day when I was younger.

I could practically feel and hear all the insults thrown at me, all the punches and shoves I received from the pack. Sadly, even from my own brothers' just 'cause they blamed me for my mother's death, Helen. The cursed one was especially used as a symbol that I was bad luck to be around. But there were two people that didn't care about what others thought. Sam and Alice.

Once at my motorcycle, Vincent got on, looking me up and down. Frowning, he snaked an arm around my waist, pulling me to him until I was fully pressed against him.

"What's wrong, Ellie?" Is the first thing Vincent says. I roll my eyes playfully.

A cool breeze blew past us, lifting my loose hair that fell just past my shoulders. I decided to get a hair cut and from what I've heard, it looks amazing.

Weakly laughing, "Just drowning in old memories."

He cups my chin and barley brush our lips. "Then let me save you."

Shaking my head  "No worries. The past no longer matters."

"Yes," he disagreed, "it does. The past makes you who you are today."

"Come on, let's just go, Vince. I'm tired and I still have to get ready for tonight's meeting," I plead in despair, trying a smile.

"Why do you always shut me out, Ellie? We have already been over this and you still have problems opening up to me."

"No, it's not that Vince, it's just that when I . . . . "

Without warning he released me and got off the motorcycle; cutting my sentence short. "Know what?  I need a break from all this, bye."