4. Peace and Mayhem

Tobio and Hiromi boarded the bus. Karasuno's volleyball team was on its way to a practice match against Aoba Johsai (Seijoh). He couldn't wait to play and win against the team that had a few of his middle school teammates, especially Oikawa Tōru, his rival and fellow setter. On the other hand, she was excited to see the said rival and Iwaizumi Hajime, Seijoh's ace.

Hiromi wasn't a team member but Takeda Ittetsu, the team advisor, insisted that she get a ride with them. He said it was the least they could do as she would be the only one going to support them.

She sat next to Kiyoko to help her with some work. After they were done, Hiromi turned towards her senior and tried to understand why she looked so familiar.

"Is something wrong Hiromi-chan?" Kiyoko asked, noticing her stare.

"Ah! I'm so sorry for staring like that!" She bowed her head and she kept it like that until the older girl chuckled and put a hand on her shoulder, telling her it was ok.

"Shimizu-senpai, it's just that, I feel like I know you from somewhere..... Are you an athlete?"

"I used to be. I specialized in hurdling."

It finally clicked and she gasped. "I know you! I've seen your recordings, you were a star in all of them! And even though we both specialize in different things, you're one of my idols!" Hiromi's eyes were sparkling with excitement. She was so honoured to be sitting next to her.

Kiyoko chuckled once again. It wasn't common for her to be so cheery or talkative but her junior was too adorable. She also couldn't believe people watched her races let alone idolized her. "You're amazing too. Everyone's right when they say that you're going to be at the top. I'm sure you're going to represent Japan one day, I can't wait."

Hiromi's eyes were as wide as saucers. She almost died. Oh. My. God. This beautiful, talented, senior athlete, my freaking idol, just complimented me?! OH MY GOD! I hope I'm not dreaming. She calmed herself down before she fell off her seat and embarrassed herself. She took a deep breath, then asked a question that had been bugging her. "Why did you quit?"

The older girl frowned and looked away. Clearly, it was a sensitive topic.

Shit! Great job, you idiot! I already upset her. She mentally kicked herself. "I'm so sorry for ask-"

"It's fine." Kiyoko sighed and thought for a few seconds. Even though they had only spoken a few times, she felt comfortable around her and liked talking to her. She decided to tell her the truth. She knew about the injury the younger girl got last year, so it was only fair that she know about her own bad experiences too. Also, if anyone would understand, it was her.

Kiyoko gave a brief explanation. Once, she loved running but after a while, it wasn't fun anymore. She got injured many times, getting multiple scars and there was a lot of pressure on her to win. It became a burden. So she left it.

"That's why I admire you. Athletes don't get the recognition they deserve. Running is very tough, especially long-distance. You got injured too but you're still continuing with it. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have given up on something I had insisted on for so long," she said wistfully.

"You stopped liking it, so you quit which is admirable too. There is no point in forcing yourself to do something you dislike. Many people do it because they are afraid to try something new. But you were brave and gave managing a try, even though it's difficult and different from what you were used to. You're incredible because you can not only run but also handle these hooligans like a pro!" Hiromi hoped that she said the right things.

Kiyoko smiled brightly which reassured the other girl. "Thank you, I needed that."

They continued to talk about various things, especially athletics.