9. Summer and Secrets

When Kiyoko approached Hiromi, she was waiting in one corner for Tobio to finish his practice. The older girl gestured for her to follow.

Once they were outside the gym and the volleyball team was out of earshot, Kiyoko asked, "You know about the summer camp the team is going to attend, right?"

Hiromi nodded. "Yeah, you excited?"

"Yep! But I also have to get some important work done and I could use your help. If you're not busy, could you do me a favour?"

"Of course!"

"Thank you." Kiyoko gave her a closed-eye smile which made Hiromi beam in delight. The younger girl just loved basking under her senior's praise and approval. Right now, she was completely alert to grasp every single word so that she could help the best she could. After all, her senior was giving her a super important task.

She snapped out of her reverie when she heard Kiyoko talking again, "The team is striving to do their best and I must do the same and give them my full support as their manager. I want to appoint a second manager for the team. Next year I will graduate, and when I'm gone I will need someone else to take care of them, I need to pass down my job. So, can you help me look for first-years who aren't part of a club yet?"

"Leave that to me! I won't let you down!" Hiromi saluted.

Kiyoko took hold of the other girl's hands. "Really? Thank you once again. And don't tell this to any of the boys, I want it to be a surprise." She let go and smiled. "I have to go now. See you tomorrow?"

"Your secret is safe with me. Later!" They waved at each other before parting ways. As Hiromi was about to get to the gym, something orange almost pounced on her.

"WE ARE GETTING A NEW MANAGER?!" It was a sparkly-eyed Hinata.

Hiromi groaned, the secret keeping was already ruined. "How much did you hear?"

"Everything."

"Then you should know that this is a secret. So, keep it down!"

"Right! Sorry..."

"Promise me that you will guard this secret with your life."

"It will go with me to my grave." He made a motion with his fingers as if he were zipping his mouth.

Hiromi was skeptical about the whole thing; she knew how much of a blabbermouth he was. Unfortunately, she had no choice but to trust him. She let out a sigh and nodded. "Better keep that promise," she said, going into the gym along with him.

Hiromi tried thinking of people she could ask to try out for the manager's position while she walked home with Tobio.

He was getting concerned because she wasn't talking his ears off as usual. It was too quiet for his liking. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, just thinking..." Hiromi rubbed her chin and squinted her eyes. Seconds later, her eyes lit up and she clapped her hands, "YES!" she shouted. She finally came up with the perfect person for the job. Her sudden outburst made Tobio cringe and back away from her a bit, in case she slapped him in the process of her excitement.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked, still keeping his distance.

She smiled evilly, rubbed her hands together and imitated a villain's voice. "I've got big plans for you... Nothing dangerous, obviously. Not that I'm going to tell you anything even if you are dying to know."

Her behaviour told him that she was completely fine. His shoulders relaxed and he went back to standing close to her. "Good. I don't want to know about your dumb plans."