Twenty-three.

__________________________

Kate took a seat in the generic arm chair, her new therapist sat across from her. It was only her third  session, she wasn't really sure if she even wanted to do this but it was evident that she needed to talk to someone professional, her trauma was swamping her more than ever lately.

"So, how about we pick up where we left off last. Are you still having nightmares?" Emma, her therapist asked

Buck had fallen asleep in Kate's room again, it was happening more and more lately. They'd both admit it was a weird arrangements, a new couple living in the same apartment but in different rooms. But Buck couldn't find anywhere worth living in and a part of him didn't want to, he liked living with Kate and not just because of their relationship, but because she was a fun person to live with.

He was pulled awake from his sleep when he heard to low whimpers that came from Kate, nightmares had taken over her dreams every night that week.

"Hey, it's okay" he gently shook her

Kate opened her eyes, she felt the tears that dripped down her face and the sadness that graced her heart but couldn't remember why she was crying or what caused it.

She turned over in her bed and wrapped her arm around Buck, her head rested in the crook of his neck

"Do you remember this one?" He asked

"No" she sniffled "which makes me feel stupid for still crying"

Buck gave her arm a reassuring squeeze "you can still feel sad for what you can't remember

Kate sighed heavily "I'm sorry for waking you again, you can back to your room if you want"

Buck glanced at her with a frown "definitely not"

"Yeah" Kate nodded "But I still can't remember what about, it's like they are foggy and I can't make my way through them"

"After we experience a trauma our brain has its own ways of getting through it, right now your subconscious could be trying to remember something your brain chose to forget"

"I just hate waking up sad and not knowing why, I think I'd prefer to wake up sad with a reason at least then I could try fix it"

"Have you been keeping any secrets?" Emma asked

"I mean I just told my whole team about Sam, I thought I'd feel better after everyone knew" she shrugged

Silence fell upon them for no more then 30 seconds, that's all it took for Kate to remember what else she had been lying about.

"I've been paying for Adams rehab" she admitted

"Why?"

"I don't know" Kate huffed "I hate him, god I hate him so much but here I am paying for him to waste 3 months of his life because I know it won't do anything"