Thirty - three.

⚠️trigger warning - violence & abuse⚠️__________________

__________________

Days had gone by since Adam showed up, Kate hasn't slept well since. Every noise she heard was another reminder that he may have never went home.

Buck tried to ease her mind as much as possible, he install a door camera, hoping it would ease some of her anxiety.

But even with that, Kate knew Adam wouldn't settle till he said his peace - he was stubborn that way. And she knew he wouldn't leave, not the week of their dead sons birthday.

Kate stared at her phone, Samual would have been 3 years old.

"How you feeling?" Buck asked, handing her a coffee

"Tired" she mumbled, "I wish I knew if he was gone. It's so exhausting"

"And about today?" His voice softened, he had made a mental note to remember

Kate looked up, almost teary eyed "you remembered?"

"Of course I did" buck nodded,

Kate stood up, she walked over to were he was leaned against the counter and wrapped both arms around him. Hugging him warmly, "I love you so much"

Buck kissed the top of her head, "I love you too"

Kate turned away for a second, sneezing into her elbow. Still plagued with a cold "just kill me now"

"You know you can talk about him" buck said, "Sam I mean"

Kate smiled warmly, "one sec"

She walked towards their room, she opened the closet and pulled out a small box from the back. It was full of all pictures she had of Sam and few keep safes, she really didn't want to pack up everything from her old home when she moved to LA.

Kate walked back out and sat on their couch, she patted the spot beside her. Buck sat down next to her, not questioning it.

Kate opened the box, she pulled out the stacked pictures and undone the elastic around them.

"It was a box of things I allowed myself to bring with me when I moved, just pictures and little things he always liked"

Buck took the stack of pictures, he began to look through them, noticing how different Kate looked. Not in a bad way, she just had a certain glow about her when she held Sam. A certain look in her eyes he had never seen, and a smile so wide you could almost count her teeth. it was like Sam was the only person she'd ever need to survive.

He stopped at one of the pictures, Kate was standing in a small paddle pool, holding Sam - who had little swim clothes on - above her, smiling brightly at him as she giggled back at her