VIII - Shelter

River's POV

It felt good to be back in the driver's seat of my body! Although, I still had the pesky voice of Nike in my head. She was suppose to be sweet and enticing, but much to my displeasure she'd grown on her own and hadn't followed the standards I'd set for her.

She'd even allowed herself to fall in love with one of the men that were mine! I owned both of them as much as Lancaster likes to think he's in the driver's seat, I was really the one that was pulling all the strings.

I love him don't get me wrong, but sometimes he was just too much! That is why he needed my help when it came to sticky jobs such as ones like these. Killing an Alpha wasn't something anyone could do, being an Alpha was a burden and made one... paranoid most of the time. That's why me and my men are free agents.

We are paid to kill people. Pretty simple job. And it's not like I was forced into this job by my parents. It'd been a choice, one that I wear with pride. With this job I can do whatever I want and take any job that I want.

Though there are the annoying bounties that people will put on your head sometimes. I don't understand why, most of the people I kill are scum bags that deserve to die.

Sliding around the corner of the hallway, I quickly open the door where Lancaster's scent leaks from and I dart inside. The room is pitch black, but I knew that he was in here. Turning I am about to turn on the light switch when a hand comes out and slams me back into the door.

"Well hello to you to." I say to him a smirk sliding easily onto my face. As he looks at me.

"River?" He ask using my name and it's nice to hear someone call me that again. I really am tired of hearing the name Nike. It's lost it's luster.

"In the flesh." I tell him as I look into his eyes that are hesitant to believe that I am really who I say I am. Not to be unexpected, although, I wish he'd have most trust in me. We're mated after all, you've got to at least trust your partner in this world.

His fingers slide ever so dialectically over my face. Like he's trying to remember, the real me and put that up against the me thats currently standing in front of him.

"Don't compare!" I hiss at him changing our positions. Now his back is against the door, he's the one pinned in place now. "You brothers are the same assessing me and then comparing me. Stop thinking with this"-I tap his head-"just accept me." I tell him pressing my lips to his in a tender affection way.

My eye slide shut as I release his hands. My hands moving towards his chest as I lock my hands in his shirt. He makes a gurgled growl in the back of his throat as he pushes against me. Our lips meshing and dancing in a heat passion.

The heat builds up in my body as his hands traverse my body in a sensual motion. His tongue slipping into my mouth as he walks us towards the bed. I sit down when the back of my knees hit the bed. He pulls away from me his eyes taking me in.

"You're really back?" He ask me softly, his fingers running down my face and over my lips. Testing the fact that I was really back.