Chapter 1

I stopped in the hall to take a look at my watch, my shift is almost over. I am exhausted as usual but I love what I do. Being a doctor is so rewarding, I worked hard to get where I am. Even though I love what I do, I still love when I get to go home instead of sleep in here. It's not like those TV dramas. 

Flipping through my papers, I took a look at the last patient I visited.

"Hey Dimitri, what's the results for Mrs. Anderson", Dontay asked, leaning over the desk to take a look.

"Looks like her vitals are improving and everything else is normal, she should be released soon."

"She's been freaking out that she has the plague or something. She's totally a hypochondriac."

"She just had a fever but still we have to listen to her even if she is over-exaggerating", I said.

"Yeah, yeah. Anyway, are you going to visit that girl...what's her name...Clara?"

"Yes", I said, still sounding professional.

He raised his eyebrow.

"You spend a lot of time with her."

I moved my eyes off my clipboard to look at him.

"Don't give me that look. You know I am against relationships with our patients, there's a whole policy about that. She's been here for a little over a year. I hate when our patients feel depressed for being here for so long, I just do whatever I can to make her happy."

"She's really cute though, I saw she was 22."

"Get lost Dontay."

He chuckled and then backed away to continue on where he left off. 

I started walking, I kept on going until I reached a door and then I knocked.

"Clara? It's me", I said as I walked in.

"My favorite doctor", she said excitedly.

"I'm sure there are some better doctors than me", I said as I closed the door behind me.

"They don't visit me every day like you do."

"Well I guess I am awesome", I said as I took a seat next to her bed.

"I never said you were awesome, someone is stuck up."

I laughed and so did she.

I took a look at the monitors.

"How are you feeling?"

"The same I guess", she said with a shrug.

"Mind if I check."

She nodded.

I got up and took my stethoscope off around my neck so I can check her heart. I listened carefully, her heartbeats are still irregular.