Chapter 2

"Hey Tonya, can you send these samples to the lab for me", I asked

"Sure thing", she said.

"Doctor Ivanov, I need you right now", a nurse called out.

I ran over to a room where a patient stopped breathing.

"I-I don't know what to do...this is the first time this happened and-"

"You do know what to do, that's why you are here. Just take a deep breath, relax and think."

She did just that.

"I need to get him breathing again", she said

"Right."

As much as it sucks not to intervene, I want my team to know what to do. I only jump in if necessary.

"Make sure you get the tube in the right place", I said.

"Down the wrong pipe is what we want", she said.

I taught that trick to anyone who forgets since we all had food go down our windpipe at least once in our life.

"I think I got it...I know I did."

We both looked at the monitors, they stopped beeping.

"He is stabilizing. Great work. Make sure you check on what happened and keep a close eye on him", I instructed.

"Yes Dr. Ivanov. Thank you so much!"

I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"You have to believe in yourself more Krissy. I don't choose just anyone to work under me."

"I learn from the best."

As I left the room I let out a sigh. I've been through a lot of emergencies but they still get my heart racing. I'm glad my shift is over though.

As I headed to Clara's room I stopped when I saw a few nurses rush in. I ran over to see what was going on. She was seizing.

"What happened?"

"She was fine, just talking to me and all of a sudden she started having a seizure."

I rushed to the side of her bed. The nurses made it safe for her by removing anything that could hurt her.

"She has no record of seizures", I said.

I heard a nurse say something but it sounded far away. I was focused on Clara. I never felt so scared for a patient. We are taught to stay calm during emergencies but in this case, I could feel my heart racing because it was Clara.

I wanted to reach out to her but I knew I couldn't touch her. Luckily the seizure passed quickly. As it wore down she came to, she looked so scared. I couldn't help it. I reached out to her, my hand gently rubbing her head.