Chapter 3

My pager startled me from what she just said

"I'm sorry...I have to go, it's an emergency."

"Oh yeah...you go do that", she said with a small smile.

I smiled a little back. I walked quickly through the hall but the only thing on my mind was what she said.

"Will you kiss me?"

I was hoping I heard her wrong but I didn't.

Why did she ask me that?

"Dr. Ivanov! Get your head out of the clouds, we have a patient with a gunshot wound to the chest", Dr. Green shouted at me.

"Yes sir...I'm sorry."

I quickly got to work taking his place as he left. I told the nurses what I needed. The craziness was the distraction I needed to keep me from thinking about what she said.

For the rest of the day, I kept myself much more busier than usual, it was on purpose. I'm always rushing to finish up at the end of the day to see Clara but I didn't want to see her...no I can't. I don't know what to say to her. It won't be right if I don't see her. It's the one thing that brightens her day, the one thing my dad told me to do for patients.

When I finished up with my last patient, I took my time to put things away. I slowly walked over to her room, I knocked.

"Clara, it's me."

"My favorite doctor", she said with her usual cheerful voice.

She seems to be doing well, maybe she forgot what she said. I can just forget about it too.

"How are you feeling", I asked.

"Icky."

"Define icky."

"Tired, sick, blah."

I chuckled.

"Blah is a new one for me."

"I always feel blah."

"Has the blah started recently", I said as I took my stethoscope off my neck.

"Yeah."

"Let me listen to your heart and lungs. You know the drill miss."

She giggled.

I paid close attention to see if I can hear anything new.

"Nothing unusual than the usual unusual."

"Now that is a tongue twister."

"I'm proud of myself. Well, you haven't had any seizures since that day which is great. Maybe your body is improving and so it's adjusting. Is there anything new going on that could cause that?"

"I don't know. The only new thing is my mom didn't come to see me today. She got held up at work."

"That sucks. Maybe tomorrow then."