Chapter 5

I was awake even though my eyes were still closed

I was awake even though my eyes were still closed. I turned in bed until I felt a sharp pain.

My eyes shot open.

"Ah!"

"Are you okay? What can I do?"

I looked to see Clara was by my side. 

"Clara...what are you doing here...you need to get back to your bed."

I tried to get up to help her to her room but she stopped me.

"It's okay. I have my monitor with me, so far so good. The nurses said I could be here. I am feeling better. I'm getting better because of you."

I sat back, how I got here, I started to remember. I remember what happened to her mother...well that woman. 

"Clara...are you really okay?"

She looked down. I took her hand.

"Honesty yes. I feel free but lost at the same time. I feel sad my...that woman who I thought was my mom is gone. I guess I'm sad that I don't have a mom and I never got to know my parents. I don't know who I am."

"I know who you are. You're the bravest person I ever met. You're smart and funny...and always made my day."

"How?"

"You are always positive. I needed that when I have a bad day."

"You live longer when you are positive."

"That saved your life."

"It did, didn't it", she said with a smile.

"Hey-"

A sudden memory came to me but I quickly shut my mouth.

"What", she asked.

"It's not important."

"Tell me, please", she said with her doe eyes.

"Uh...feel up to going for a walk", I asked.

"Oh, of course."

We walked down the halls of the hospital, I guided her to a more deserted part since the mornings are pretty busy. Eventually one of the halls led outside to the garden. We both sat down on a bench.

"That day...why did you ask me to...kiss you?"

"Oh...I'm sorry about that. I just...I just thought I was really going to die and it would be a sad way to go without having kissed anyone and like...like you're..." 

Her voice got quieter and quieter until she stopped talking.

I squeezed her hand so she could look at me. 

I spoke softly. "I'm what?"

"You're sweet...and...cute...so I would have wanted you to be my first kiss...I'm sorry. Talking like this could get you in trouble."