Chapter 8

One year later...

"I can't look!"

"I can't look!"

"You want me to check, I can", I said.

"I don't know...yeah...you do it."

"Okay, don't stress too much. Lay down, I'll go to you when it's ready."

"Okay..."

I let out a long breath. 

Time sure does fly by. I can't believe we've been married for nine months. It feels like it was yesterday when I saw her walk down the aisle accompanied by Dontay. I was so happy he offered to do that for her, he's my best friend for a reason. 

She is always beautiful but when your girl is walking down the aisle, it hits you. As soon as you say I do, you're responsible for everything. You have to live up to all of your promises. That's easy because I look forward to making all of her dreams come true. In the past year, we've traveled, seen everything she could possibly see, and more and then some. The one thing I struggle to give her...is a family. 

We've been trying ever since our honeymoon. After a few months of trying, we decided to go see a fertility specialist to figure out what was wrong. Everything was fine with me but not Clara. Due to her being sick for so long and the poisons damaging her body, it left long-term effects, one of which was fertility issues. 

Clara was devastated. She felt broken, not like a true woman. I comfort her to the best of my ability but in the end, I can't know what she's feeling. She was so excited to live her life the way she wanted after being in that prison with that woman who called herself her mother. Clara felt like she wasn't good enough for me because she couldn't give me children. Of course, her ability to not give me children did not change my mind when it comes to wanting to spend my life with her. I love her with all my heart, there's nothing that can separate me from her. 

Recently Clara wanted to try IUI treatments. I know how hard and uncomfortable that is. I hate it when she's not feeling good and when we get negative tests back to back. She gets so depressed she has to take off work for days at a time. I feel so helpless that I can't do anything. I'm a doctor and yet I can't help my wife. I'm glad I figured out what was killing her but with this...there's nothing I can do, not even the specialists. 

I tried to convince her we should adopt, of course, she wants to but she would also like to try to get pregnant too. The adoption process is long, unnecessarily long but it is what it is. We applied a while ago so at least we are in the system. 

For now, all I can do is wait, and waiting is what I'm doing. Clara was too scared to see the results of the test. I don't blame her, I can at least take the stress off of her by doing this. 

I looked at my watch. 

"Well, it's been five minutes, a bit longer just to make sure."

I took another deep breath before I looked over to see the results.