Chapter 7

A few weeks have passed since our time alone together

A few weeks have passed since our time alone together. I'm already planning another get away with Clara, most likely somewhere out the state since she's never been to any of the other states. A road trip would be nice.

"Earth to Dr. Ivanov", Dontay called out.

"What? Oh, sorry...I was just thinking", I said.

He gave me a look.

"So...have you spoken to that girl, Clara."

"Why, do you really want to know?"

He sighed.

"Come on, you have a thing for her don't you? Don't keep me in the dark. I swear on my life I won't tell, you know I'm Catholic, I don't just go around swearing on my life if I don't mean it."

"Fine. Yeah, I do have a thing for her...more than just a thing. We are together and things are going very well, I like...love her."

"What?! My man! Finally, you're going to settle down, it's about time."

I smiled.

"She had such a terrible life, I want to give her everything she should have had."

"I couldn't believe that psycho woman was doing that to her, and how she shot you. Glad she's gone for good."

"Yeah, she doesn't have to be afraid anymore. She's free and she has a real family now. My family loves her, even more than me."

"Well don't forget to invite me."

"To what", I asked.

He stood up.

"You know."

He cleaned up and then left the cafeteria.

After I got done eating, checked in with a few patients and then stopped by to see Clara. She got a job as an assistant to one of our receptionists. She has been doing well and she always tells me she enjoys it. The hospital also surprised her by covering her education costs so she could be a receptionist on her own. I can see her becoming a lead receptionist real soon, everyone loves her. I know she won't be that for long, her dream is to be a teacher but for now, this is a great step for her. 

When Clara spotted me, she smiled brightly.

"Hey", I said.

"Hey you."

"I was going to head home now. What time are you done?"

"I'm not sure, maybe an hour or two."

"Okay. Hurry home."

I reached over the counter to take her hand. We haven't said anything about our relationship around the hospital, mostly because I hate hospital gossip and because I believe in keeping things professional here.

She squeezed my hand.

"I will."

I always have a taxi arranged for Clara if we leave at different times, still, I like when we leave together.