Chapter 2: Let it be

Daniel

I wake up from a very vivid dream: the guys were out last night for a wolf run when they encountered a human boy, they tease him a little, make him sweat and then they bolt, just run away. The weird part of the dream is not what happened, but how it made me feel afterwards.

I woke up in a state of panic, fearing for the human, even though nothing could have happened since everyone knows it's forbidden to hurt humans, much less kill, under my father's orders.

Honestly, we don't need the hassle. Last thing the pack needs is the outcry of an angry mob hunting the animal responsible for it. But more importantly, I don't know the guy. So why would I care if he got hurt anyway?

There's a banging at my bedroom door. I know it's my mom telling me to hurry or I'd miss breakfast. Living in the pack house had its advantages: like you always had company, always were protected, but it also comes with its own disadvantages: one of which is the tardy werewolf misses breakfast.

Not to mention, I had to walk all the way out of the pack compound to catch the bus to school.

It couldn't enter here, as humans aren't allowed on the premises. Not that they would know that, of course. But we knew it. And so all the kids who live here have to walk out to go to school. And there are a lot of kids here. Enough to fill an entire school bus.

Washed, dressed, I get down to the dining hall and enter it to see that everyone is already there. The warriors, my sister and brothers and all the unmated werewolves that live in the pack house. It was a huge table and everyone was eagerly waiting to eat breakfast.

As I take my seat at the higher end of the table, I immediately notice that my father is not here yet. And of course, that is the only reason this pack of animals haven't ravished the food yet... No one eats before the Alpha.

"Good morning, everyone. I'm starving!" - I said as my mouth waters, looking at the delicious pancakes, bacon and all the great food the cooks have prepared for us.

"Everyone is starving, cariño, your father is late for breakfast." - My mom replied with her usual great mood. I make a motion to steal a slice of bacon but she slaps my hand so hard I wince.

"Quieta-te! You know you have to wait for your father. I don't know why you think the rules don't apply to you!" - My mother chastised me, already nervous as she hates tardiness.

"Yeah Daniel, you're not the Alpha yet. Calm down, we're all hungry." - My brother Nate chimes in with an amused look on his face. As he says that, the entire table laughs at me.

"Thanks, Nathaniel! I wasn't under the impression that I am..." - I said, knowing that he hates being called by his actual name, before getting interrupted by my father walking into the dining hall.

"Good morning, Alpha." - The entire room says almost in unison, with the exception of my siblings, who greeted him as dad. They all bowed their heads. It's a time honored tradition to bow your head in the presence of an Alpha.

"Good morning, everyone. What is this I hear Daniel tried to eat before me? I am still the Alpha, son, no matter how eager you are to take my seat." - My father replied with an amused smile on his face, as he took his seat at the head of the table, next to mom.

"I'm not eager to take your seat, dad, I was just hungry." - I said in an annoyed tone as I served myself. My dad begins to eat, so everybody attacks the table.

"Right..." - My sister interjected, incredulously. She never misses an opportunity to take a dig at me, though not always so subtle.

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, mi amor... - Dad said as he kissed my mom on the cheek. - "Also, you can only be Alpha after you find your mate. I mean, look at your brother, he's already 18 for months now and still nothing. It can take years..." - He said as he pointed at Nate, which made my mother poke him on the side reprehensively.

"Wow. Thanks, dad. Thanks for the vote of confidence." - Nate snickered, begrudgingly.

"Which reminds me, we're going to travel to the Blood Moon pack this weekend. All unmated people of the pack are required to attend." - He stated, loud enough for everyone at the table to hear, not that it needs much as we all have acute hearing. Nate grimaced at the news.

"Don't worry about it, dad, I already found the love of my life. It's just a question of time for the Moon Goddess to acknowledge it." - I smirked, confidently.

And I was right. I've already found my mate, fortunately. I'm just waiting it out until I turn 18, so she can officially become my mate. Truthfully, I can hardly wait.

A|N: Someone is in for a rude awakening...

Love,

Léo.