The Stylist

Alec stared into a floor length mirror in his bedroom in the Lightwood mansion and observed his reflection as intensely as he had never done before. A tall man with black hair and blue eyes looked back at him. He had never been a vain person, who took overly care of his appearance. Honestly, he didn't care at all how he looked as long as he was healthy and feeling comfortable in his own skin. But that obviously wouldn't do for his current status.

Yesterday his parents had approached him to have a serious discussion on holy black sweaters and faded jeans. His father had admonished him, "It's totally fine to wear whatever feels comfortable when you are at home or leading the archery team in college. But people will look at your appearance more intensely from now on. You should dress as if you had the position already." His mother nodded earnestly in agreement.

"But the people appreciate my authenticity," Alec contradicted. "All the surveys say so. I think I should stick with my trademark outfit. During the campaign at least." His toes involuntarily curled as he thought of the suits and uniforms, he would have to wear should he succeed. Stop it, he scolded himself. Don't be selfish. This is but an unpleasant side effect. The goal is worth the trouble.

This thought made him give in to his parents requests and he asked, "So, what to do about it? Will you go shopping with me, Mum?" His mother smiled tenderly upon him grimacing. If she would not force him to buy a new shirt every now and then, Alec would wear his clothes until they fell from his body in shreds.

Nevertheless, she answered, "No. But we have hired the best stylist in New York to dress you up from tip to toe."

Alec shut his eyes and groaned upon this revelation. Letting a stranger intrude his personal space was something he would have liked to avoid. Exactly for this reason his campaign was mainly conducted by his family. His parents were the head of the team and managed his finances, his program, his public appearances. His little sister Izzy took care of PR. In contrast to Alec she was very good with people. Always by Alec's side was his adoptive brother and best friend, Jace. By now he acted as a bodyguard for Alec.

"Can't Izzy take care of that? I'm sure she would give away half of her shoes to help me with my clothing." Izzy had always complained about Alec's plain way of dressing. She herself was a sparkling diamond in contrast, who made heads turn towards her wherever she went.

His father shook his head: "I don't think your sister has the proper... eye to choose your outfits. This stylist was recommended to me by several of my colleagues, who are always dressed impeccably, so he's a safe choice."

Alec had to admit that Izzy would go rather for extravagance than the business look. He nevertheless felt uncomfortable letting a stranger choose his clothing. But his parents had obviously set their minds already, so there was no use in arguing.

"All right," he gave in. "How do I contact this stylist to get over with it?"

His mother smiled tenderly, "You have an appointment with him tomorrow. He'll come here to make this convenient for you. We hired him to attend to you during the whole campaign so he can prepare you for each and every public appearance. Eyes will be on you the whole time from now on, Alec, you should be aware of that and act and dress accordingly."

"When you meet him," Alec's father added, "Don't be appalled by his looks. Though he dresses himself... extraordinarily, you will find nobody more capable of dressing you like the future president you are."

Now Alec was waiting for his first encounter with his new stylist. He had not asked for details about him as Alec supposed that he didn't know this person anyway. He didn't even know his name. Alec feared that this guy would turn out to be one of those snobbish glamour boys, whose clothes Izzy loved to wear.