The Date

Izzy had chosen an outfit for him. She had selected a small restaurant which was known among the rich and famous to offer discretion to their customers (it had to be an absolute insider-tip because Alec had never heard of this place before). She had even invented an alibi for their parents, why Alec had to take the evening off. All in all, Alec was relieved that he could rely on her, otherwise he would have been lost. He had only stopped her enthusiasm when she had started to lecture him about how to properly perform a blowjob (she knew way too much about it for Alec's liking). Even if he had in mind to take this step after a first date (which was not the case), he would definitely not consult his little sister for sex tips.

Now Alec sat in the rear of the Lightwood's most inconspicuous car on his way to Magnus's apartment musing what the night would bring. His driver, Hodge, examined him in the rear mirror.

"We do not really pick up a potential sponsor, do we?" he asked suspiciously.

Alec gulped hard and took moment to steady his voice: "Of course, we do. Why would you think anything else?"

"Because you don't normally pick up a sponsor. Normally you meet them at a restaurant or at your office."

Damn, Izzy's alibi hadn't lasted long. Well, Alec was a bad liar anyway, so he decided to just confide in Hodge: "Um, you are right, Hodge. This is a... a private meeting."

If Hodge had already guessed, would his parents also suspect something? Alec prayed that Izzy covered well for him at home.

"I suspected that much," Hodge interrupted his thoughts. "Your parents ought not to know about this, I conclude?"

Alec nodded: "Yes, I would be obliged if you didn't fill them in."

"Sure, Mr. Lightwood. Your parents won't hear a word from me." He smiled back at Alec who sighed in relief. Hodge had worked for his family since decades. Alec couldn't remember a time without him. But Hodge was of course loyal to Alec's parents, who paid his salary, not to their son, whom he called by his last name though he had already stripped baby-Alec to his child's car seat many years ago.

When they arrived at Magnus's apartment in Brooklyn Alec was so nervous that he nearly told Hodge to turn around and take him back home. With a deep breath he gathered his courage and got out of the car.

Alec studied the names next to the doorbells. In plain capital letters 'BANE' was written next to the third one. Alec had expected the name to be more adorned, somehow sparkly just like the person it belonged to.

He rang and the door opened just a few seconds later. Alec ignored the elevators and jogged up the stairs. With his tight working schedule occasions to work out with Jace were sparse so he used every opportunity to keep in shape. When he arrived at the third floor he wasn't even out of breath. Magnus expected him at the door with a bright smile on his face. Magnus sight managed, what the stairs had failed at: it left Alec breathless. Red streaks adorned Magnus's spiked-up hair resembling the red streams of glitter that seemed to cascade from his shoulders all over his golden shirt like rain. His equally golden pants were adorned by a red leather belt with an impossibly huge iron belt-buckle in shape of a rising phoenix.

"Alexander!" Magnus exclaimed. "Bang on time! Come in." He ushered Alec into a huge living room dominated by an assembly of violet fluffy couches.

"Please, have a seat. Would you like to have an aperitif before we leave?" Magnus gestured towards a well-endowed mini bar. Two Martini-glasses already awaited to be at use, so Alec felt obliged to say: "Yes, a Martini please."

Magnus nodded appreciatively: "Gin or Vodka?"

"Um, gin."

While Magnus was busy mixing their drinks in silence Alec shifted on the couch uncomfortably. How came he was perfectly fine giving speeches in front of a crowd of thousands but could not bring out a word when he talked to Magnus only?