The Wingman

It has been one week, one whole week without a word from Alexander. Magnus had apparently been too subtle in his advances. Or Alec was playing hard to get. Either way Magnus intended to increase his efforts. Which was kind of difficult because his charming assistant had already stated her disapproval and was currently watching him with eagle eyes as he pricked a needle in one of Alec's new suits. While Alec was wearing it, that is. Today was their second appointment and Magnus had to make some adjustments to create the perfect fit for Alec's new clothes. It also offered the perfect opportunity to admire Alec's body once again. For a politician he was incredibly muscled. Besides, blue eyes and black hair were his favorite combination.

Magnus wished that he would have come here alone, but Clary wouldn't let him.

"You can't just hit on your most important so far client," she had said. "If he wins the election he could become your most important client ever. Don't ruin this with your horrendous flirting."

"But, biscuit, what if Alexander turns out to be the one? My one true love?"

"Like Camille, Etta, Woolsey and Imasu, you mean?"

"Hey! I really did love Camille! And Etta. And Imasu...," he had trailed off. "Woolsey was just a friend with benefits, however."

"You see the pattern, don't you?" Clary had raised her eyebrows. Though she was two heads shorter than himself, her eyebrows were immensely intimidating.

Magnus was quite sure that Alec was attracted to him, but he didn't argue with Clary further. She strictly separated work from her private life, which was a reasonable position. Nevertheless, Alec was so drop dead tasty that Magnus couldn't resist to test his luck.

If only he and Alec had a few minutes for themselves! But not only did Clary keep a close eye on them, no, in the middle of the session Alec's sister burst in and started chatting amicably with him and Clary. Normally, Magnus would have felt flattered by her compliments on his designs, but today she only was an additional obstacle between him and his private talk with Alec. Luckily, she left soon, not without winking to Alec conspirationally. According to Alec's confused expression he didn't understand what Isabelle wanted to tell him either.

Magnus had heard that the Lightwood siblings were very close to each other but he only got a feeling for their closeness, when Alec's adoptive brother, John?, entered. Magnus threw him an exasperated glance and intended to command him out but Jace was faster.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Jace said apologetically, "But I have a problem, for which I could use the assistance of a trained hand."

"I don't think he's talking to me, biscuit," Magnus said returning to his work.

"And what exactly is that problem?" Clary asked instead of Magnus. From the corner of his eye Magnus saw her eying Jace from head to toe and back. Interesting.

"As Alec's bodyguard I always carry a gun with me. Discreetly, of course. But the holster will not hide under my new suit jacket. Perhaps you could take a look and... lend a hand?" He charmingly smiled at Clary, who glanced back at Magnus inquiringly.

"Go, biscuit," Magnus hastily encouraged her. "I don't need you currently. You can take your time." Lots of time, Magnus added silently.

As soon as they had left, Magnus addressed Alec in his usual careful, subtle way: "Why didn't you call me?" Alec flinched, so that Magnus nearly poked a needle in his biceps.

"I..., well, I...," Alec stammered and blushed fiery, "I was... afraid, kind of, I guess."

"Why would you be afraid of me?"