Chapter 26 ~ Crazy Ex Girlfriend

Sorry it took so long, this is a looong one!

The next chapter may be the last one but I'm not sure yet.

Don't forget to vote and comment, show Shylah and Atanas some love!

Chapter 26: Crazy Ex Girlfriend
***

“You have to be kidding me.”

But no, my mate’s expression was completely serious as he pulled out an overstuffed armchair from the huge table that filled the meeting room. The other chairs were all wheelie ones I could at least spin around in while receiving whatever bad news I was about to.

I knew I looked rough - dark purple bags bruised the skin under my eyes, my hair was in a matter bun piled on top of my head, and I’d chosen a baggy hoodie over a pair of worn leggings which didn’t help - but come on!

Atanas lifted his chin, waiting for me to protest further or give in. Without the energy to argue, I resigned myself to being coddled and fell into the chair. “If you try and put a tartan blanket over my lap, you’re crossing the line.

With a chuckle, he shoved the chair closer to the table for me and patted my shoulder. “Don’t tempt me. After your actions last night, embarrassing you like that might be the only punishment you’ll learn from.”

Again there was no trace of a joke as he walked around to stand behind the tallest chair at the head of the table. I decided not to test him today. Dressed again in smart black trousers, a white button up shirt with a black tie, he looked like the stony faced businessmen that stalked the streets of the city centre.

Why he was insisting on having a formal meeting instead of giving me a quick rundown of what I’d missed, I wasn’t sure, and Atanas wouldn’t budge when questioned. Nor had he allowed me access to my iPad or a new phone, which only made me all the more worried. Had some human government official figured out who I was or where I might live? Were we expecting a squat team to swing through the windows while intense music played?

Drumming my fingers across the table, I glued my eyes to the door, straining to hear the chorus of footsteps coming down the hall. Kincaid arrived first, a pile of files under his arm with bits of paper fluttering and close to falling out. He nodded once as honey eyes met my gaze, which was enough to let me know he’d been worried about my health. He took the seat on Atanas’ left and pushed the folders in between us.

“That’s everything?” Atanas asked.
“It’s everything they claim to have.” Kincaid shifted and glanced at me again. “There’s enough to cause some measure of concern, and it will probably get worse before it gets better.”

“Someone needs to start talking or I’m going to start an interrogation,” I snapped, tired of all the riddles. “Spill the damn beans already so I can decide whether or not Leyla will be booted out. Surely you can fill me in on something without needing our entire council here? What happened to Gideon? Titus? Xiaodan? Airell’s followers?”

Atanas clasped his hands together on the table, his gaze unfocussed as if debating with himself. Lifting his head, he acquiesced. “There weren’t many of Airell’s followers left once the fighting was over, but those who did survive were given a choice to join us. Those that did, left completely clear on the new laws and what would happen should they break one; no more needless killing, hunt under the radar, no more selling or taking of Ailill blood, and no blooding humans until I give the say so.”

Laws? We had laws now? I was impressed.

“Every Princeps has been given notice about these laws,” Kinacid added. “They’ll pass quickly by word of mouth too, and most will no be stupid enough to go against Atanas. Any young vampire ignorant of who he is before, will soon quickly hear.”