14: Do Ewok's Fly?

Warning: Mild torture scene, Anakin's mother, to be exact. I recommend reading over it if you are easily bothered by such things.

         ✧༺♥༻∞ ∞༺♥༻✧

I could feel the tension in the early morning breeze; the cool air scratched at my porcelain skin, causing me to hold myself tightly. I heard Anakin cry out last night... in fear... in pain. He had another horrible nightmare; Anakin still hadn't told me what it was about as we sat silently, meditating together.

Ani's distress, I wanted to take a baseball bat to it and knock it away to some other universe.
If only it were that simple — like everything else these days — it was needlessly complicated.

I opened my eyes; and rose from the ground only to stare at Ani, now standing. His hands were behind his back; his posture relaxed, his face almost peaceful.
But I could see beyond his mask, hiding the true feelings inside that the Jedi disregard. Fear, mostly, and some impatience. They needed to be addressed, but Council wouldn't listen, and I think Anakin believed I wouldn't either, which made my heart drop. I wanted Anakin to trust me above all others, which meant I had to show him he could. I would listen and help if only he would open up to me. Again out of fear, he shut himself away.

I knew I had to leave soon, but if there were a way to ease his mind, I would do everything possible to make it so. I gazed past him; upon the sunrise, birds flew across the endless horizon, the water glistening for the start of a new day and new problems.

I heaved a soft sigh. I had to do something.

"Ani," I murmured. "Can I see your..." I paused, trying to decide what I wanted to call it without seeming dismissive of his problem.

"Dreams," Anakin said with a slight pout on his lips, his eyes slowly blinking open. "Will you be safe if you have—"

I placed a hand on his cheek, calming him down.
I wonder if the tactic worked next time if he was having a fit. I hated seeing him so distressed: It made me anxious too.

"I will be fine," I reassured him by stroking his cheek, my voice not faltering. "Please, open up to me."

I gazed into his eyes, there were like a storm, swirling with negative emotions, and I wanted to take them away. I wanted him to be happy. I leaned forward, my forehead against his, while his hand rested on mine.

He is so warm.

"Alright," Anakin whispered, his breath tickling my nose. I focused on the Force around him and me. I felt it building, like a flicker of a light bulb. I pulled him closer; it soothed him and me as his body relaxed into mine. Anakin moved his other arm on my waist.
A few more moments passed, and the famous white flash took over.

I appeared in a dark area; a small lantern lit the tent, creating a small dome. It smelt like decay and smoke — the heat made it more unbearable. Everything was out of Order, unkempt, and dirty. Brown sand covered almost everything from bloody clothes to obsolete weapons.

Why is Anakin dreaming about this?

I jumped, hearing the screams of a woman who seemed to be in distress.

"Anakin, help me," She cried out.

I turned to see an older woman, Shmi Skywalker. Unmistakable with her messy brown hair — rough hands tied to a makeshift post. Her eyes squinted shut in pain. Her back whipped endlessly, dripping with blood. Shmi's face... scarred. Her cuts were brownish, dried up blood, pus oozing from them. I examined the markings closer, but I'd never seen anything like them.

I felt her suffering as I placed a hand on my cheek, resisting the urge to cry out at creatures dressed in beige rags, covering their face with menacing leather masks. Their voices were unworldly.