Chapter Four

I've had enough.

I'm going to escape. I'm going to get out of here. Hazel Eyes is dangerous. Really dangerous. I fear that if I stay, I could end up getting myself severely hurt. I don't know what this guy is all about, but I don't care anymore. I don't care about him, I just want to leave. Want to find my way back to my sewer and live like I used to. I don't even really care that Hazel is the only other person who's different...

He scares me. And that's enough of a reason to go.

So, when the dull evening falls, I get off the bed, extremely cautiously. I keep a close ear out as I sneak over to the window, crouching by it. I take in a couple shaky breaths and bring my hands up to the window, trying to push it open. It's difficult at first. Feels like it weighs a hundred tons. But it becomes lighter eventually, I suppose, and then I'm easily sliding it open and feeling the cool breeze. Man. I missed that air. Even if it's gross city air, it's better than the stale air in here. The smell of old wood. Eugh.

I breathe in briefly, then stare out the window, heart pumping with adrenaline. Or, perhaps anxiety. Or that stupid thing called fear.

I'm lucky, though. It's not a far jump. I'll be fine.

So I do it.

I stick my legs out the window, and I do it.

I jump.

But there's something else. Something watching me from behind. An ominous darkness that hovers just behind me, silent. And I catch a glimpse of it as I jump.

It's the human form of darkness. Yes. That's what it is. The shadow with eyes.

He's watching. But he can't do anything now, can he? 'Cause I'm already running blindly down a barren sidewalk, legs stinging from a somewhat rough landing, the cool night approaching. The smell of rain is in the air, as well. A good smell. A smell that gives me comfort and hope, while all I can do is stare at the horizon.

I just need to find out where I am, and get back to the safety of the sewer. As far away from Hazel Eyes as possible.

My oversized shoes hit the sidewalk, the frigid breeze sending goosebumps up my arms and legs. I don't care that I'm wearing nothing but the long shirt and shoes, because I have clothes in my sewer. Even though I feel super exposed...

There's no one else around. There's only the silence and the street. And those two things are my friends, I guess. They keep me going, they help me, they make me feel secure. Safe.

Yet, why... why does this feel incorrect? Why does this sense of security feel wrong? Why do I feel like there's a third thing amongst the silence and the street?

I'm running faster. My legs are carrying me, farther down the sidewalk, and I don't know where I'm going, but that doesn't really matter now.

Wait, though.

There.

There it is. That other thing.

Another set of footsteps behind me. My heart nearly stops. My legs start to falter. The ground suddenly becomes a treacherous war zone and I, I'm finding it harder to run, because there's fear grabbing at my legs. The hands of fear. They grab my ankles, and I feel like I'm tripping.

Somehow, I'm looking back.

There's familiar eyes sneaking up behind me, still and solemn, but the person behind the eyes doesn't run. They simply jog along on tired feet, as if chasing people down is the normal.