Chapter Thirty

The streets are empty. The sidewalks are empty. The feeling in the air is empty.

And inside of my head, I feel empty. As empty as my stomach. As empty as some of the cars parked along the street, or as empty as the sky is right now.

It's dawn, so all the stars have disappeared. Just like the people had hours ago, disappeared like the loud city noise. Disappeared like the sirens.

Disappeared like Gerard.

I sigh, half expecting someone to hear me sighing. Yeah, it's that quiet. I might wake someone up and attract unwanted attention. And then they'll report me to the police. And then I'll get taken away.

But that's exactly what I want to happen.

Yes, that's what I said. Your eyes aren't failing you. It's all apart of the plan.

The only way to get Gerard back is to get arrested.

Yes, it's crazy, and sounds like something I absolutely would not do- but, surprise, surprise. I'm going along with it. It's the only way. Even if I were to venture out and find this "police station" of sorts, I probably wouldn't find it. They've got it expertly hidden away, somewhere deep in the mountains. Something like that.

I hate to sit out like prey to the predator, but the police will see how stupid they are if this plan works. If it doesn't, I'll look even more idiotic than them. And that's not something I want to happen. I know, I know. It's a very risky plan. A dangerous plan. Some might say even a little stupid.

Gerard would have called this idea stupid. He would've given me the look he always does. You know, where he looks at me like I've hit him in the face, or I've just announced I'm turning myself in, or like I have eleven heads. The last one occurs the most.

Anyway. It's not that important. Gerard isn't here to speak, isn't here to tell me to stop. He can't glare at me until I feel like I'm going to melt. He can't yell at me or tell me how "That is not a good idea, Lynx."

He isn't here for any of that. I can't consult in him. This decision is mine, for once. I'm deciding what happens to me. I'm deciding how the rest of my life might change. Whether those are good things or not, well... I'll get back to you on that.

I decided to do this at dawn for a reason- the absence of activity. Now, remind you, I had not expected the amount of activity to be this absent. I didn't expect there to be no one walking down the street, for no one to be driving their cars, no one with the lights flicked on inside their apartments. I thought there'd be a few people around that might make this job a little easier.

Guess who's wrong again?

I've been standing in the same spot for a couple minutes, eyes scanning everything. But obviously, there's nothing to even scan for anymore. Absolutely nothing. There aren't any sounds for me to listen to, either. It's so eerily quiet, I think I can actually hear what air sounds like. No, not wind shifting its way around. I mean air. Still, barely moving air.

Something has to be wrong. The streets are never this quiet. I might have expected this if I were in the suburbs, but this is the city. The city is always alive with people and cars and loud, obnoxious shouts, accompanied by horns honking. You'd hear it no matter what time of day. There's always something going on.

But there's something wrong now.

I finally move forward, the light slowly peering in on me. The day is fast approaching, and you'd expect the energy to have a fast approach, as well. But it doesn't. Even as I walk further along, the shoe on my injured leg scuffing the street, nothing moves. Even as the birds start to quietly chirp, the sun appearing from behind buildings, nothing moves. The birds and a slight wind are the only thing that seem to exist, other than the towering buildings and abandoned cars.