Chapter Ten

"We should get going. Don't want anyone noticing us in here." Gerard pushes past me, not meeting my eyes.

I reluctantly follow behind him. I don't like the feeling of being helpless. I want to help him with whatever it is he's going through, but he won't let me. I'm not sure what to do now. I guess the only thing I can do is hurry back before we draw attention.

Gerard opens the door first, looking out, listening intently. There's a couple of faint voices off in the distance, but they're not threatening ones. They just sound like normal people starting about their day. A lonely car glides past on the street in front of us.

Gerard turns towards me. "Follow me, cover your head, and don't let anyone notice you."

"How?!" I whisper sharply. "How will no one notice two suspicious teenagers running through the streets with-"

"Just stop worrying about it and run." Gerard gives me a stern look, then shoots off without warning.

I draw a nervous breath and start off behind him. Gerard ducks for cover behind a couple of garbage cans and abruptly runs again, giving me no time to even stop. It's a good thing he knows about all these hidden alleyways. Without them, I'm not sure what we would do. We run for a little while, easily going unnoticed in the darkness of the alleyways. It seems like we're going to make it back to Gerard's, without being noticed even once! It looks like we're going to accomplish the impossible-

But it isn't until we run into someone standing in one of the alleyways that my hopes drop.

It's an old man, and as soon as he sees us, a shocked expression on his face, he runs off in another direction screaming indescribable things. Great. Our cover blown by some old guy.

Gerard looks at me and grimaces. "Just excellent."

"What now?" I ask, heart pounding. I can hear more voices now, and I'm almost positive that guy knew exactly who we were. No doubt he'd be calling the authorities on us.

"Well, I guess there's only one thing left we can do," Gerard closes his eyes briefly and breaths out. "Get the heck out of here."

I tilt my head, slightly amused at how Gerard doesn't use harsh language.

Gerard looks around frantically. There's only two ways to get out of the alley way. One being turn back the way we came (which was something we really didn't want to do), or two, run the way the man went. Option two was just as unpromising as the first option, but we couldn't just do nothing.

"Gerard? Which way are we going?" I'm on the verge of panic. Sirens are blaring lightly somewhere in the distance now.

"Well, uh," I can tell he's trying to hide his panic, too. "We can't go the way we came... there won't be anywhere to turn once we get there, so..."

"So? Which way?!"

"Which do you think?" He glares and points firmly ahead of us.

"And we won't be seen?" I'm concerned that there will be too many people gathering in the street.

"I can't promise you that. We're gonna be seen by somebody," Gerard peers around the corner of the alleyway. "It looks like there's only a couple of harmless people wondering what's going on. We'll have to move right now."

The way he says "right now" makes me feel like I'm in some kind of action movie, or-

"Are you coming or not?" Gerard interrupts my thoughts.