Chapter Fifteen

There are three rough knocks at the door.

"Police! Open up. We'd like to speak with you." A voice booms out from the outside. Or, should I say, lies.

They don't want to "speak with us." They want to knock us out and throw us into the backs of their cars, more like.

"I know what to do." Gerard says, surprising me a little.

"You do?" I raise an eyebrow at him. "There's no other way out of here, other than the-"

Gerard looks at me like I'm stupid, then sarcastically pulls a fake thinking expression. "Hmm, I wonder where you tried to escape a couple days ago?"

I blink at him, not impressed. But I definitely got what he was trying to tell me. "Ohh, right! The window in my room."

" Ohhh, right!" Gerard says, mocking my tone.

"Well, c'mon," I snap, trying to sound like him. "We don't wanna waste anymore time!"

"Ha ha. Very funny." He rolls his eyes, then jogs out in front of me, heading for my room.

Gerard passes my unmade bed and studies the window. He pulls a confused face like he's never seen a window before. I laugh at him. "What, got a problem with the window?"

"No..."

"Then why don't you open it?"

"Yeah, uh," Gerard pauses and looks over the window again. "How exactly did you get this thing open?"

Okay. I can't help but to burst out laughing at that. "You don't... know how to open a window?!"

"Yes, but, not this particular window," Gerard turns from it and crosses his arms at me. "Just open it."

I have to wipe away tears before I can calm down. "Yeah... okay, sure." I walk up to the window and basically open it with no problem.

"Show off." Gerard mumbles, and just as he begins to slip outside, I think I catch a slight smile coming from his face.

I smirk to myself. "Hey, ever heard of ladies first?"

Gerard turns his head. "Nope." And then he's gone.

"Rude!" I call after him as I hear his feet landing on the ground. There's also another sound- the sound of a door being kicked open behind me.

My breath catches in my throat, and I frantically jump out the window. I land terribly on my hands and knees. I nearly collide with Gerard, who's just standing there, raising his eyebrows, unimpressed.

I struggle to my feet and brush myself off. "Thanks for the 'help.'" I remark.

"Anytime," Gerard remarks back, looking from his right to his left. "Alright, which way you wanna go? We could take the forest route, or risk it and-"

"Thought decisions were up to you."

He sighs. "Fine. Follow me, then."

I nod as Gerard turns to the right. Seems he didn't decide to go with the forest. I start to regret what I said- I would have preferred going to the forest. The way Gerard's leading me is out in the street. There has to be tons of policemen out here... what was Gerard thinking?

"Gerard, maybe we-" I stop myself. Gerard has to know that there are people in the street. Maybe this is just apart of his plan.

"Sh," Gerard shushes me, then points toward a sewer hatch. "We're gonna go for the sewers again."