12

'Well, this is kinda awkward...' (Y/N) thought to herself as she was sitting right between Hermione and Harry, with Ron sitting across the three with a book propped open laying on his leg. 

The Hufflepuff stole a quick glance at Hermione's face, which seemed to be a bit unamused at the fact that someone besides a Gryffindor was at the Gryffindor common room. Apparently, it's a rare occurrence for students from different houses to visit other houses' common rooms.

Harry being late from their study session with Hermione was bad enough. Bringing a Hufflepuff to the Gryffindor common room most likely would've made her peeved, especially since it's the same Hufflepuff who was making her best friend act weird all of a sudden. 

It even took Harry a while to convince the lady on the portrait to let her in just for a quick study companion with him, Ron, and Hermione.

Of course, the lady on the portrait knowing how persistent the black haired boy can be, decided to not waste anymore energy on arguing with him. Besides, she was tired from visiting her friends who lived in different paintings in Hogwarts - the least troublemaker she wanted to argue with was Harry.

'Maybe I should try striking up a conversation. The awkward silence is really unsettling...' thought (Y/N) with a silent gulp. Summoning the courage within herself to talk to either one of them, she pulls up a weak smile and glances down at the book Hermione was reading.

"S-So, um..." (Y/N) stuttered. "What are you all studying at the moment?" 

Hermione's eyes quickly shifted over towards (Y/N)'s face when she was a bit taken back about how she was the first to strike up a conversation. To her, nonetheless. 

Clearing her throat, Hermione answered. "I'm currently studying for Arithmancy and Study of Ancient Runes." She brought her eyes back down to her large book. "As of right now though, I need to focus more on Arithmancy. I feel like I've been held back due to the amount of homework Professor Snape had given us this week."

"Oh," is all what (Y/N) could say. She did hear from Harry that Hermione was very devoted to her school works and that she was easily the brightest witch of her age. (Y/N) agreed though; she excelled in all of her classes and was the top student of Hogwarts, next to Draco and probably her. 

"Well, it took me a while to get used to Arithmancy since it kind of confused me... with the numbers and equations and everything." shrugged (Y/N) and remembered how much she suffered during her first Arithmancy lessons in Mahoutokoro while trying to find the right letters that was right with the numbers using the Agrippan method. 

Plus, Math wasn't her strongest subject in her muggle school and it didn't change when she found out she was going to spend the rest of her life studying in a magical school.

"Well, I would say that Arithmancy is a complex subject." said Hermione as she flipped through another page of her book. "It's more logical, unlike Divination." she rolled her eyes at the memory of Professor Trelawney telling her that she didn't have the potential to take the subject. It made her dislike her professor and the subject in association.

"Besides, all the results I've gotten in Arithmancy are satisfactory so far." she added. 

"That's good." replied (Y/N). "I wish I was as good as you when it came to Arithmancy back in Mahoutokoro - I've never been well-versed when it came to that subject." 

"Oh," said Hermione before she retreated back to her own thoughts. She stared at (Y/N) for a moment, observing her face for a few seconds before opening her mouth to speak again. "Well, if you need help with Arithmancy, I can help you."

"Really?" (Y/N) was surprised at the brown haired girl's offer for while until she pulled up a smile, happy at the thought that Hermione's starting to warm up to her a bit by offering to teach her Arithmancy when she needed it. "Thank you, Granger. That's... really nice of you."