¹ two oruguitas, in love and yearning

⊹⊱ 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ⊰⊹
two oruguitas,
in love and yearning

⠀⠀

           THE FIRST TIME HE ASKS HER WHO SHE LOVES, he wasn't exactly referring to who she was 'in love' with. There were so many different forms of love, platonic, familial, romantic, the list just goes on and on. They were too young to completely comprehend which was it.

The first time he asks was completely well-meaning. It was just a question; nothing too heavy. After all, they were only a pair of five-year-olds. It goes just as far as his child-like innocence lasted.

They were wholly unaware of the possibility that love can tear people apart. Not to mention, they've been inseparable ever since they were children—

Because before his Corazón became his cousin's best and only friend, she also happened to be his closest companion.

Because before Mirabel Madrigal was alone, she had Camilo to share the nursery with.

Because before Camilo got his gift, 'they' were a band of three consisting of the two Madrigals and that one girl in the village.

           The three amigos would venture the town side by side, hands intertwined while the rest of the famous Madrigals continued to do their daily endeavors in helping their small community get by.

But then Camilo receives his miracle.

And then a couple of months later, Mirabel doesn't get hers.

           All of a sudden, their group of three gets torn in half. The young maiden's attention is suddenly divided between her two friends.

And she perfectly understands (or at least the grown-ups had their fair share of attempts to explain it to her). As the eldest in her family, she's always been a little too perceptive for her age anyway.

The atmosphere between the two cousins had become tense and awkward. It was difficult for them to be together because although Mirabel Madrigal was the most empathetic among their family, it's not like the child can control the jealousy gnawing inside her.

It was difficult to suppress her yearning for belongingness.

And putting aside the fact that they were months apart, to Mirabel, Camilo was like a twin. They've been together for years, but now it feels like she's being left behind. She lost her closeness with him alongside the chance of obtaining a miracle.

And that's exactly what the other girl had become to her;

A safe space.

The Chiquitita was her best friend; a person who saw them for who they were and not merely the stars the Madrigal family was made out to be.

It's why her two friends adored her so much.

But spending more time with Mirabel meant less time for Camilo— And so, the five-year-old boy can't really help it when he runs after the maiden who was just about to leave his family home without so much as a word to him.

           "Wait! Wait!" little Camilo shouts after the young girl's departing figure.

At the sound of his voice, his Corazón turns to her mother to ask for a bit more time. She runs to meet him as soon as the woman gives in.