³ they're so afraid of change in a world that never stops changing

⊹⊱ 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ⊰⊹
they're so afraid of change
in a world that never stops changing

⠀⠀

            THE THIRD TIME HE ASKS HER, makes him feel even worse than the last two times but perhaps it was the build-up of everything that happened throughout the week. They're fifteen and Casa Madrigal had just crumbled down; not to mention, his family was such a mess.

All their perfect masks, tough fronts, and stupid facades come crashing down. They spent so much time together as a family that it's almost exasperating to think that they only began to see eye to eye right then.

But homeless or not, they all love each other (no matter how terrible they were at expressing it).

He won't trade them for anything.

Besides, at least now they were finally trying to fix what was broken (both figuratively and literally) and the rest of the villagers were kind enough to volunteer to help them rebuild their Casita.

So at least there's that one silver lining—

Well, there's that and the way that his Corazón never fails to make him smile.

It was for that reason that Camilo Madrigal ran up to the girl and his cousin, sneaking off to mess around with them whilst the others resumed to do their work. (In his defense, he needed a well-deserved break just as the rest of them did.)

What he does not expect though, was what Mirabel says to the girl of his dreams.

"Do you want me to tell him or what? I'm pretty good at matchmaking, you know. Take Dolores and Mariano over there" Mirabel motions towards Camilo's older sister, acting as nosy as ever.

They speak in hushed voices as if it were such a closely guarded secret.

"That was just one time," the other girl deadpans before pleading, "You can't tell him I like him. Please, Mira. It'll ruin everything—"

"Who likes who?"

Wholly unaware of the presence of Camilo Madrigal from behind them, the two girls jolt in surprise.

Had this been a normal day, he would have transformed into someone else and sneakily joined in without anyone noticing the truth.

But they don't have their gifts anymore.

And he kinda forgot that tiny detail.

"Camilo!" the two friends shout in unison, looking at him accusingly like he just breached some sort of top-secret hideout.

Honestly, he feels just as seen as they were. Everyone always preferred shapeshifter Camilo. The boy was not exactly used to being seen as himself; no blending in, no playing pretend.

He did not think this through.

Regardless, he still tries to keep his act up.

"Sooo," he drawled on, a playful smirk on his lips as he repeated his earlier question. "Who likes who?"

Mirabel laughs nervously, adamant to deny it, "What?— Psh, no one."

His Corazón nudges his cousin shortly after.

"I mean, me! I like someone," Mirabel lies, attempting to make some stupid excuse albeit digging them into an even deeper hole. "Yeah... There's someone in the village and I think they're pretty cute."