² they long to stay together, but something inside them is growing

⊹⊱ 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ⊰⊹
they long to stay together,
but something inside them is growing

⠀⠀

            THE SECOND TIME HE ASKS HER, it had completely caught her off guard. Camilo Madrigal was just kidding around like he usually does. It was almost impossible to resist the urge to stir a little trouble when he finds his long-time friend helping out in his family's kitchen.

They're just ten but the boy already had his knack for mischief, proving that he truly deserved his spot as the family's jokester.

The boy grins at his best friend, arms propped against the counter to get a better look on her face. He's been trying to find a new nickname for her, making use of various terms of endearment and finding amusement in how she reacts to each one.

"How about 'Mi Vida'?"

It's mainly just a childish attempt to catch her attention but regardless, the boyish smile on his lips alongside his usual air of cheekiness doesn't fail to aggravate the beating of her heart.

Still, she does her best not to let him get to her.

Or so she tried.

The Chiquitita continued to ball the dough of the arepas Julieta Madrigal entrusted her with, refusing to look Camilo in the eye as if she was perfectly aware of his capabilities to distract her. In the first place, the reason she volunteered to lend a hand was an attempt to repay their hospitality after coming over too many times.

There was a certain irony in the way that the person she was doing this for was also the same person trying to get in her way.

"Mi Cielo?"

He was doing so damn good at it, might she add.

"Cariño?"

It has been his nth attempt and her cheeks only burn a darker shade of red after each one.

Eventually, she sighs with exasperation, "Camilo."

"What?" he blinks slowly, feigning innocence with that stupid grin plastered on his face, "Would you prefer 'Corazón'?"

"Ca-Mi-Lo," the girl stresses the second time around, but he doesn't stop teasing his best friend. If anything, the exasperated (and somewhat flustered) expression on her face only tempts him to go on.

"No?" the Madrigal smirks, before making another suggestion, "Mi Amor?"

She blushes even harder if it was even possible.

The color of her complexion puts tomatoes to shame and at that, Camilo cackles loudly.

Perhaps that was the finishing blow.

She doesn't miss the way the corners of his eyes crinkle as he laughed his heart out. Her heart flutters rather violently in her chest and the butterflies swarming in her stomach seemed to have gone wild.

Camilo Madrigal reminds her of sunshine.

Bright and simply dazzling.

The yellow poncho that hung over his shoulders only seem to support that statement, but beyond all that —as much as she hated to admit it— he grew up to be just as charming as he was incorrigible.