Ascend Part 2

Inko Midoriya sighed tiredly, looking at her unconscious son's body lying on the bed. Deep down, Inko knew she wasn't the perfect mother but she had done everything to make her son feel normal. Maybe it hadn't been the right choice, ignoring the elephant in the room that was her son's lack of a Quirk but what was she supposed to do?

Almost everyone that she knew doesn't face this sort of problem, birthing a Quirkless child. Call her cynical but that knowledge would spread like wildfire should her friends aside from Mitsuki catch wind of those stories. Everyone would run their mouths like motorboats.

Whenever Izuku is around or watching, Inko wouldn't use her Quirk just so he doesn't feel self-conscious about his lack of one. She tried to plant interest in other topics for her baby boy. For a time, he rejected it but decided to go along with it. When he was 12, her son claims to want to become a writer. Her heart soared higher than a kite, believing he was finally moving on.

But apparently, those were lies. as he had gone on her back and joined up Hero work. Truthfully she had mixed feelings about her son's love for that particular line of work.

A small motherly part of her felt happy for him because he is happy. But the logical part, the copter mother as Mitsuki puts it, grew horrified at the knowledge, fully aware of the hazard that comes with that line of work. After all, that's how her beloved husband went missing and the poor woman believed she might not be able to stand the thought of losing another family member.

So what if he became an Awakened? Even if he has a Quirk, the thought of her son becoming a Hero frightens her. People often say death is a horrible thing but she believed living with crippling damage is even worse. She'd seen how some heroes lost their limb in the line of duty, long before the times of Gates and Awakening roam the world. Magical monsters were bad enough but they only appear in those Dungeons.

'Oh Hizashi, if only you were here,' bemoaned Inko. She missed her husband. Much as she hates to admit it, he was great with kids, even better than her in all honesty. Hizashi got along incredibly well with their baby.

Pushing the peeling knife against the apple's skin, the middle-aged woman wondered how she had gotten here. While at work, she received a call from Mitsuki, notifying her how both their sons are in hospital due to Hero-related injury. Stricken with panic and fear, the woman dropped everything and went straight to the hospital. 

She managed to meet up with her son's friend and his mother. They told her everything that occurred. She even saw the wounds and well, she may have fainted.

She can still vividly recalled every little detail. A deep gash starting at the shoulder , reaching down to the stomach, revealing the organs and bones inside. It was a ghastly sight, something Inko wished she can erase. Supposedly during the surgery, a bright light engulfed her child and by the time it died out, the wound had disappeared, leaving Izuku as fine as before.

Reawakening they had called it. A process where an Awakened undergoes a second awakening, boosting their powers immensely. According to the doctors, it isn't uncommon for Awakened to heal life-threatening wounds through this process. She was even told she should be thankful because her son was at death's door by the time he had gotten here and that for an Awakened to undergo one is quite rare.

That had been three days ago. Every day during lunch break, she would come by and check up on her boy, hoping he will wake up from the coma.

"Oh, my sweet baby, I'm so sorry for what life had thrown at you." Inko fought the tears from spilling, brushing a lock of his hair aside. Her child looked peaceful, dozing away without any care.

When her son suddenly screamed, the pudgy woman reflexively stumbled back out of surprise and straight into her chair. Unable to take on her weight, the chair reeled back along with her and the two fell to the ground hard. Despite the pain, Inko quickly got up and looked at her baby boy, who was looking at himself in shock. As if even he was surprised by his presence.