Getting Ready for Hogwarts

It had been a long three years. Y/N woke from his bed. The first two years had been fun, he had slowly got accustomed to the outside world. He would spend his days wandering through Diagon Alley, investigating the shops speaking with the workers. Many had been nice to him, kind. Only the Goblins and Tom, the barkeep knew his true identity. He had lived under an alias and all was well. That is until about a year ago, somehow the Daily Prophet got wind of his identity and released that Y/N Deimos, the offspring of monsters, the Child of Azkaban, was living free and happy in the Leaky Cauldron.

His life changed that day. He could no longer walk down the street unnoticed. At best he was recognised and people whispered in fear  and moved to the opposite side of the street. Sometimes he has things thrown at him and was spat on. A couple of times he had been surrounded and beaten.

He had a minder, an auror from the Ministry named Talbott Winger. He would follow Y/N in his animagus form, a raven. He was a cold and distant man, and never seemed in a rush to get Y/N out of dangers way.

A week ago Y/N had been surrounded and dragged into an alley by four men.

"Son of monsters. This will teach you"

The punched and kicked, he laid there and took it as they laughed and spat on him. He had no choice. He remembered the ministers words from their last conversation. "You hurt anyone and you'll be back in Azkaban quicker than you know."

Talbott had eventually come and scared the men off, threatening them with arrest, but not before Y/N had been beaten badly.  He had sat there for twenty minutes, bruised and bloody, before he got his strength up enough to stand and walk back to the pub. Lots of people saw it happen, saw the aftermath, not one person came to help. Even ask if he was ok. This cemented in Y/N's head the cold hard truth. He was alone. He didn't need or want anybody and nobody wanted or needed him.

He had gone back to his room and hadn't left, other than for the bathroom and to shower. He spent most of his time reading. He had purchased hundreds of books over the past three years, his father had left him a vast fortune in his Gringotts vault, and he particularly liked reading. It was something he had picked up quickly. The orderly, Omar, had helped him back in the hospital. He smiled thinking of Omar, he was one of the few genuinely nice people Y/N had met.

He only had two things left to buy for Hogwarts, a wand and a pet. He left the Leaky Cauldron quietly, and put his hood up, not wishing to be recognised.

As he was on his way in Ollivander's he accidentally collided with a small boy, sending him flying.

"Sorry about that" Y/N said holding out his hand to the boy.

"That's ok" the boy said standing. "Oh no I've broken my glasses". He looked quite upset.

"Here can I borrow them for a moment?" Y/N asked. The boy gave him his glasses and Y/N held them in his palm. He held out his other hand and muttered:

Oculus Reparo

The glasses magically fixed and the boys eyes went wide. "Thanks" he said putting his glasses back on. "I'm Harry, Harry Potter".

Harry waited for the inevitable freak out as he said his name and held his hand out but it didn't come. He noticed the boy seem to flinch as he said his own name.

"Y/N. Y/N Deimos."

"Nice to meet you Y/N. Are you starting at Hogwarts as well?"

"I am."

"That's good, hope we can be friends." Harry was confused as the boy looked shocked.

"Uh Yeah, maybe. See you later Harry".

With that he turned and left, confusing the bespectacled boy.

Y/N entered the wand shop and heard an old man call out to him almost instantly.

"I wondered when I would see you Mr. Deimos. It seems only yesterday your mother and father were in here getting their wands".

"I never knew my father sir, and frankly I wish I never knew my mother. How do I go about getting a wand. Do I pick one or?"

"No. No my dear boy. The wand picks the wizard. Perhaps. This one."

He handed Y/N a wand, Y/N flicked it and a shelf behind Ollivander caught fire.

"No." Ollivander said wildly as Y/N placed it on the counter.

He tried another. After flicking it Ollivander's white hair had turned bright blue. He looked up towards his head. "Well that's new. I wonder. Perhaps"

He disappeared towards the back of the shop and reappeared with a box, he opened it and  Y/N grabbed the wand. Suddenly he felt a warmth travel up his body.

"Curious. Mr. Deimos. 12 inches, rigid with a Phoenix core. The same Phoenix that provided your fathers wandcore. But..." he paused for dramatic effect, at least in Y/N's opinion. "This is made of Ebony wood. Ebony wood is traditionally associated with rebellious personalities. But what, I wonder, will you be rebelling against? We can expect great things from you Mr. Deimos. I think that much is sure"

Y/N walked out of Ollivander's after he had paid for his wand and pulled his hood up again, wanting to be ignored. He was good at blending in the shadows, he grew up doing it in Azkaban, and mastered the skill the last two years in Diagon Alley. 

He walked a little bit before turning off and heading down a dark and dingy alleyway.

He looked up at the sign. Knockturn Alley.
He let his guard down. No one ever bothered him here. He walked passed several witches and wizards who all nodded at him or said "Deimos" as a greeting before arriving at the store he wanted. Cursed Creatures.

He came to a cage and stuck his fingers in, greeting the bird inside.

"Today's the day I buy you".

"Deimos. He's all yours. 25 galleons."

Y/N handed over the money and got the bird cage, the birds belongings and enough food to last for a while.

"You ever looked after a Roc before kid?"

"No. But I think I'll be ok". He opened the cage door and the Roc flew out and sat on his shoulder. "I think I'll call you Swoop" Y/N said as the bird squawked quickly in approval. Y/N returned to his room with his new friend on his shoulder and a smile on his face. "Just one more week".