The Sorting

The train arrived and all the students got off. Even though it was dark Y/N kept his hood on. The first years walked towards a very large man who was calling out.

"First years, first years over here."

Y/N walked passed the giant and climbed into a boat. Neville got in along with a girl named Pansy Parkinson and a boy named Terry Boot.

Pansy kept looking at Y/N and smiling, he tried to ignore it.

They arrived to see a stern looking witch who introduced herself as Professor McGonagall.

She gave a speech about houses and rules and said the sorting ceremony would start in a minute. She left and a slick haired blonde boy approached Harry Immediately flanked by two others that looked like gorillas.

"So it's true, what they were saying on the train. Harry Potter has returned to Hogwarts. This is Crabb and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Ron snickered. Draco looked at him furious.

"Think my names funny do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe. You must be a Weasley."

"For gods sake Draco shut up" Y/N pulled off his hood and glared at Draco with his Grey eyes.

"D-Deimos" Draco said in fear. The other students whispered fiercely.

"How are you c-cousin?" Draco asked, obviously nervous.

"I'd be better if you dropped this stupid rehearsed speech Daddy gave you. Your grating voice is giving me a headache" Y/N glared at him.

Hermione looked in his grey eyes from where she was standing. She saw hatred. Maybe Ron was right, maybe he was a monster.

Draco made a whimpering sound but 'bravely' continued- although a lot quieter.

"You'll soon see some wizarding families are better than others Harry. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there".

He held out his hand to shake. Harry looked at Y/N then looked at Draco's hand. "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks".

Y/N chuckled and Harry smiled at him. He didn't care what Ron said. He liked Y/N. It was at this moment McGonagall returned and bid the students to follow her.

Y/N blocked out everything else. There was a speech from Dumbledore, then a song. He remembered Hermione saying something about the ceiling but he paid no attention until McGonagall started calling out names.

Hannah Abbott

"Hufflepuff"

Susan Bones

"Hufflepuff"

Terry Boot

"Ravenclaw"

Draco Malfoy

"Slytherin"

Hermione Granger

It took a while but eventually "Gryffindor"

Ron Weasley

"Gryffindor"

Harry Potter

The room broke out in a series of whispers. The boy who lived. Harry could be heard arguing with the sorting hat before it called out "Gryffindor".

The Gryffindor table erupted. He heard yelling, "We got Potter".

All the other first years were sorted before one remained.

Y/N Deimos

The hall gasped in unison. Even more whispers. Just as Y/N suspected. He approached the sorting hat and it was placed on his head.

"Slyth.... Wait." The hat stopped itself.

"No. There's something different about you. Not like them are you. You've got a good mind but... bravery yes. You have to be brave just to get through each day don't you boy. Better be..."

"Gryffindor".

The hall was silent. Absolutely silent.

Deimos was a Gryffindor. He was half Deimos and half Lestrange. No one in either family had ever been anything but a Slytherin. Was this a joke?

Y/N walked up to the Gryffindor table with his head down. There were still about six empty seats next to the other first years, but they moved back in fear as he approached. Y/N sighed and sat right at the very end by himself, looking down at his hands. He must have been quite the pitiful sight.

After the feast, during which Y/N had very little, the first year Gryffindors followed a red haired prefect named Percy Weasley. As they entered the common room Percy directed the first years to their dorms before calling out "Deimos".

Y/N sighed and walked up to him.

"What?"

"Don't what me. I am your prefect. I don't know what you think you are playing at being put in Gryffindor but I'll be watching you. Every move you make".

"That's wonderful now if that's all".

Y/N turned and walked towards the dorms before Percy grabbed his shoulder hard.

"Don't you turn away from m....."

He stopped as Y/N turned round, rage and hatred in his eyes, wand digging into the side of Percy's throat.

"You ever touch me again they'll be pulling your teeth and skull fragments out of the walls".

Percy gulped all lifted his hands holding them up in surrender. Y/N glared at him before lowering his wand and turning. It was at this point he realised all of Gryffindor were in the common room and looking at him in fear.

Y/N sighed and walked towards the dorms. As he walked it was like the parting of the Red Sea. He walked passed them silently as he went up the stairs to his dorm, he found his possessions and the Roc's cage. He opened the cage to let the bird out who gladly flew up around the ceiling before perching on Y/N's shoulder.

"You and me against the world Swoop. You and me against the world."