Hogwarts Express

The day of the train ride to Hogwarts had arrived. Y/N was both excited and dreading it. Excited to get away from the Cauldron, Diagon, and all the crap that had come with it. Dreading the reaction he was going to get.

He rose early on the morning of the 1st and had already packed away what he needed.

He used the Cauldron's floo place to travel to the station at 8:30 and sat on the platform alone, with his hood up, until the train arrived at 10:00am.

He got on the train and sat in the first compartment he found, pulling his hood over his head. He soon drifted off to sleep from boredom.

When he woke the train was moving, he stretched and yawned, and was suddenly aware of other people in the compartment.

"So you're awake"

He looked to see the source of the voice. It belonged to a girl, she had bushy brown hair, a slight overbite and a slightly condescending tone of voice.

"This compartment was the only one semi-empty when I got on the train. I'm Hermione Granger, this is Neville Longbottom. And you are?"

"Y/N"

"Just Y/N?"

"Y/N.... Yeah just Y/N".

"O...k... well are you a first year as well?"

"I am".

He answered but glanced at Neville nervously. Longbottom. Y/N knew who he was. His mother had told him, over and over what she and his father did to the Longbottoms. She was so proud. When he was young he took it as normal. Now the thought made him feel physically sick. He was pulled from his thoughts as Hermione started talking again.

"We were just talking about your bird. He's not an owl, what is he?"

"He's a Roc."

"There's no need to be silly."

Y/N smirked, before returning to his usual cool face.

"Not r-o-c-k", "r-o-c". He's a magical bird from North Africa.

"What's his name?"

"Swoop."

"Why did you call him that?"

"Rocs swoop down on their prey. They grow to be huge. They've been known to take whale calves at times".

"Why is he your pet then? What are you going to do when he grows up?"

"He is grown up. He's an adult Roc."

Hermione and Neville looked at Y/N like he was an idiot.

"Roc's are choranaptyxic. They can grow or shrink depending on available size".

"That's amazing" Hermione smiled at Y/N as he finished speaking.

"A lot cooler than Trevor" Neville said.

Y/N looked at Neville blankly. "Who is Trevor?"

"My toad" Neville said holding his hand to the side. He broke into a panic.

"Trevor, Trevor! Oh no he's gone. Gran's gonna kill me". He looked like he was about to cry.

"Neville, Neville it's ok. I'll help you find him" Hermione said as she stood and walked out the compartment. Neville got up and followed her. Y/N put his hood back over his head and crossed his arms over his chest, closing his eyes.

Hermione had gone to quite a few compartments asking if anyone had seen a toad. No one had. She finally arrived at a compartment with two boys in it. "Have either of you seen a toad? A boy named Neville's lost one".

The two shook their heads. It was then Hermione noticed the red headed boy had his wand out.

"Oh are you doing magic? Let's see then"

She sat down next to the boy with glasses.

The red head cleared his throat.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow. Turn this stupid fat rat yellow"

Nothing happened.

"Are you sure that's a real spell? It's not very good is it? I've only tried a few simple ones but they've all worked for me. For instance"

She pointed her wand at Harry's again broken glasses.

Oculus Reparo

"Wow" Ron said amazed.

"Holy cricket. You're Harry Potter. I'm Hermione Granger. And you are?" She looked at Ron with almost disgust.

"Won Weasley" he answered with a mouthful of food.

"Pleasure". Hermione definitely found this boy disgusting.

"Thanks for fixing my glasses Hermione. You're the second first year to do that"

"Second? Who was the first?" Ron asked.

"Oh a boy I met in Diagon Alley. He was really nice. He accidentally bumped into me but fixed my glasses up. Didn't even need a wand to do it"

"Wow. What was his name?" Ron asked amazed.

"Y/N Deimos"

Ron nearly choked on his flavoured bean.

"Y/N Deimos, but he's a monster."

Harry and Hermione looked at Ron like he had a second head.

"What are you talking about?" Hermione asked.

"Deimos. His parents are Wagnard Deimos and Bellatrix Lestrange. He was born in Azkaban, wizard prison, and he lived there until he was 8 and the ministry found him. He hates all muggleborns just like his parents. They were big followers of you-know-who, his second and third in command. They murdered lots and lots of people. His mum trained him in Azkaban to be just like her." Ron seemed to go on forever without stopping to breathe.

"That doesn't make sense. He was really nice when I met him. Shy, but nice". Harry was genuinely confused.

"It's probably a trick. He'll be in Slytherin just like the rest of his family. I bet you anything"

Harry was very confused. Hermione was slightly scared. The boy was very quiet but seemed nice. Was that only because he didn't know she was a muggle born? She got up and walked to the door.

"You two better put on your robes. We'll be arriving soon. And you've got dirt on your nose. Did you know? Right there." She pointed to a spot on her nose and Ron rubbed it furiously.

She walked back to her compartment and took a deep breath before walking in. She sat in her seat again, but as far away from Y/N as possible. It had to be the same kid, but he seemed nice like Harry said. She turned to Neville and said quietly.

"Sorry Neville, no one has seen your toad".

Neville nodded and whimpered. Y/N noticed Hermione's nervousness and just turned more towards the window. Not another word was spoken until they arrived.