Presents and Trolls

It had been a quiet week. Neville was released from the Hospital wing in time for classes Tuesday and the week passed non eventful until Wednesday afternoon. Pansy had pulled Y/N and Neville aside to tell them Thursday was Hermione's birthday. Y/N had never had a birthday celebration before. The closest thing he had was when his Hogwarts letter was delivered to the Leaky Cauldron when he turned 11. He was nervous when Pansy had told him and Neville they should give Hermione a present.

What made a good present? What do you give to a friend?

He didn't want to admit that he had no idea, that he hadn't had a birthday, so he kept quiet. The only thing he could think of was giving Hermione his copy of History of the Quidditch World Cup.

Hermione had read Quidditch Through the Ages as preparation for flying class. She was quite nervous about Y/N playing. Maybe this could help her?

He wrapped it in a spare piece of Parchment and placed it in his trunk until the next morning.

The three friends snuck out early to the common room the next morning- Hermione was always up early to sit and read before breakfast. They surprised her and she was quite overwhelmed.

Pansy gave her some wizard lollies, Neville gave her new parchment and quills. Y/N handed his present over nervously.

"I hope it's ok. Sorry if it's not"

Hermione smiled at the book shaped present. It looked like it had been carefully wrapped. She took care to undo the wrapping and smiled at the book in front of her. Y/N spoke quickly.

"I thought because you were nervous about flying, and about me playing, that might help a bit. Sorry if it's no good. I can try to-"

His stammering was cut off by a tight hug from Hermione. He stood there awkwardly as she squeezed around his neck, before he patted her slowly on the back.

"Y/N I love it. Thank you"

"Um. I'm glad. You're welcome" he said with a bright blush as Hermione released the hug and giggled at him.

—~—

On Friday the four were sat at lunch when an owl flew into the great hall with a large package.

"Strange time for mail?" Pansy asked looking up. The sole owl dropped a large package straight into Y/N's arms. He looked at it with an expression that was hard to read on his face. In his mind he remembered the intense agony, the searing pain of the cursed quill. He placed the package down.

"No thanks not interested"

He tensed as a hand was placed on his forearm before realising it was Hermione next to him.

"Look Y/N. It's safe"

Y/N followed her line to sight to the teachers table, Professor McGonagall smiling at him as she stroked her owl.

Y/N nodded with a small smirk, one that would have been missed by most but filled the Head of House with joy. He slowly opened the envelope that sat on top of the parcel.

This contains your new broomstick. Please don't open it at the table or all the first years will want one.

Y/N looked up and spoke to his friends.

"Want to come up to the common room guys?" he asked, his friends nodding.

They exited the hall and saw Draco and his morons walking towards them. The three put their heads down and walked passed quickly, Y/N chuckling as they did.

They arrived at the common room and were surprised to see Harry and Ron sitting in the corner playing chess. Y/N ignored them as he sat a the couch, Neville sitting next to him, the girls opposite.