Chapter Three: The Morning After

• Suki Nakamura •

   I woke up with a pounding headache, feeling the throbbing pain in my head and throat. The last time I had a hangover this bad was when I went to a club a week ago. I desperately needed something to help me get through the day as I prepared to return to the Sannoh Region.

Struggling to open my heavy eyes, I reached for my hair in frustration, causing me even more pain. Nausea washed over me, and I feared I might vomit.

"You better not puke on my bed," a voice startled me, causing me to shriek and hastily open my eyes. The sunlight pierced through the curtains, almost blinding me.

I shielded my eyes with my hand and glanced at the person who had spoken. A man stood in the doorway, wearing a white shirt and sweatpants. He leaned against the frame, holding a plate with a tempting slice of toast and a steaming cup of coffee. The aroma wafted toward me.

Looking up at him, I struggled to recall his face. He had strong, sharp features, captivating eyes, and attractive lips. A tiny freckle rested under his eye, and his neatly styled black hair added to his charm. He was undeniably good-looking, but I couldn't remember him at all.

All I could remember was Rocky and Koo helping me outside for fresh air. How did I end up here?

I was still wearing the same clothes, including my boots.

"What did you do to me? Why am I here?" I demanded, trying to sound stern, but he remained unfazed.

"As if I would do anything to you. You're lucky I even helped you," he scoffed before turning and walking away.

I forced myself to stand and followed him out of the room. He stood in the kitchen of the spacious yet not overly large place. "Where am I? How did I get here?"

He placed the mug on the table and leaned against it, studying me. Now that I was slightly more awake, I noticed his rugged beauty. There was a mysterious and cold aura about him that felt oddly familiar, although we had never met before.

"I picked you up and saved you. Shouldn't you answer my questions first to repay the favor?" he spoke, his tone direct and unwavering.

"Hold on a second. I don't even know who you are or why you saved me," I retorted, emphasizing the word "saved" with a mocking tone and an eye-roll. I certainly didn't need saving.

"How do you know Takeru?" he asked abruptly, wasting no time.

"How do you know Takeru?" I shot back, scoffing.

"I don't think that's the answer I wanted," he crossed his arms, annoyance etching his face.

"Well, we don't always get what we want, do we?" I replied, crossing my arms in defiance.

"You're quite bold, giving me such attitude in my own house. And you don't even know who I am," he remarked, getting closer. I leaned back, not out of fear, but because his proximity was too much. I met his gaze with a defiant glare.

Suddenly, the door burst open, and another man entered, carrying bags of groceries. "You know what's funny, Hiroto? I was the one who told you to buy groceries last week. How did I end up buying them today, huh?"

He hadn't noticed me at first, but as soon as he put the bags down, his eyes traveled from my feet up, widening as he looked back and forth between me and the man I had been talking to earlier.

"Aniki, I'll talk to you later," Hiroto said to him. So, grocery-guy was his brother. He looked strangely familiar, though.

"Y-You... You're not my girl!" his older brother exclaimed, pointing at me.