Chapter Thirteen: Late Shift

• Suki Nakamura •

   Rain poured heavily, washing away the red crimson blood from the ground, creating a haunting scene of despair and defeat. My body lay there, battered and broken, unable to move, feeling the weight of failure like a crushing burden on my chest.

"Is this the bitch that beat you up? Shit, she's just a child," one voice commented, followed by the sound of a lighter igniting. The harsh glow illuminated the faces of my assailants, their sinister expressions sending shivers down my spine.

"How did that happen?" another voice inquired, curiosity tinged with a hint of fear.

"I don't know; she's really strong. Maybe it's because of that Takeru guy she hangs out with, the notorious fighter in Sannoh High School," the first voice speculated, adding to the ominous atmosphere.

Despite my battered state, I tried to force my eyes open, my vision blurred, and my body trembling from the pain and fear. A hand gripped my cheeks, making my heart race even faster, but I couldn't react, couldn't fight back.

"Yeah, her mother's a whore," the guy chuckled, the callousness in his tone making my skin crawl. "I bet she's tight."

My heartbeat rattled against my chest as I felt my skirt slowly being raised...

   I jolt awake and my heart still pounded in my chest, the remnants of my nightmare refusing to fade away completely. I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself, and then I realized I was safe in the unit. The rain outside continued to pour, but I was no longer lying on the cold, wet ground.

Just as I started to calm down, the loud banging of the door startled me. "Open the door before I break it!" I heard Hiroto's voice from the other side.

I quickly got out of bed and rushed to the door, my hand hesitating before I turned the doorknob. Hiroto stood there, rain-soaked, his expression a mix of worry and irritation.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my voice still shaky from the remnants of the nightmare.

"I was walking up the stairs when I heard screaming," he said, his eyes scanning me up and down as if to check if I was alright.

"I'm fine," I replied, feeling a little embarrassed about my vulnerability being exposed. "Just a nightmare."

Hiroto's eyes softened slightly, and he stepped inside the unit, shaking off the rain from his clothes. "You should have called me if you were scared," he said, his tone less harsh than usual.

"I said, I'm fine." I glared at him before walking away from the door. I look at the clock and saw that it was four o'clock in the morning, "What the hell, it's too early. What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to leave before Masaki wakes up and nags like a wife again," Hiroto said as he closed the door and took off his boots. 

I shrugged off his concern and let my body sink back onto the bed. Sleep was what I craved, yet my eyes remained stubbornly open, a whirlwind of thoughts from the nightmare refusing to subside.

Nothing happened, Suki. You're safe.

"You know," Hiroto's voice broke the silence, "those nightmares... they can mess with your head."

I opened my eyes to look at him, surprised by his unexpected insight. "Yeah, tell me about it."

He shifted his gaze to the rain-streaked window, a pensive expression on his face. "I used to have nightmares too. After Takeru... you know."

I nodded, understanding the weight behind his words. The loss of his brother had clearly left deep scars, ones that even time couldn't fully heal.

"But you learn to cope," he continued, his voice distant, as if lost in his own memories. "Sometimes, facing the darkness is the only way to find some light."

I studied him for a moment, the tough exterior he usually wore giving way to vulnerability. It was a side of Hiroto that few people ever saw, and it made him seem strangely human.

"I appreciate the insight, Dr. Amamiya," I teased, trying to inject some levity into the heavy atmosphere.

He smirked, a faint glint of amusement in his eyes. "Don't get used to it."

   My day went on like usual, with Hiroto giving me a ride to work and then going his own way. Returning to work brought a sense of relief, even though things were far from normal. It helped take my mind off everything for a while.

As my shift at Itokan neared its end, a message from Hiroto popped up on my phone, notifying me that he would be running a little late. I quickly informed Naomi that I would be handling the diner's closing for the day, a favor she graciously accepted, as she had plans to dine out with Yamato.

As the minutes ticked by, the door swung open, and I instinctively began my usual "We're closed..." but my words trailed off as I saw Cobra stumbling in with a bag of drinks in hand.

Without a word, he settled into his regular corner, promptly opening his beverages. Familiar with his routine, I grabbed his customary bag of chips and brought it over to his table.

"That... Amamiya guy," Cobra's voice broke the silence, and I turned to face him, my curiosity piqued.

"His name is Hiroto," I replied, my tone neutral.

Cobra rolled his eyes, a hint of exasperation in his gesture. "Why are you hanging out with him? I know it's none of my business, but why?"

I rested a hand on my hip, considering his question. "I was friends with his brother, Takeru," I explained simply.

"So now you're dating his younger brother?" Cobra's inquiry was direct, his gaze unwavering.

I let out a sigh, feeling the need to clarify. "No, Cobra. I'm not dating him. We're just friends, I guess."

He nodded, seeming to accept my response. Before we could delve deeper into our conversation, the unmistakable roar of Hiroto's motorcycle echoed outside. "Well, I guess that's my cue," I said.

In a hasty motion, I removed my apron and gathered my belongings. Just as I was about to make my exit through the door, Cobra's voice reached me once again. "Suki."

I turned to face him, our eyes locking for a moment. "See you tomorrow," he said, his words holding a hint of something I couldn't quite decipher.

"You too," I replied, offering a small smile before finally stepping out into the cool night air. As the door closed behind me, I couldn't shake the weight of his questioning gaze, a reminder that my connections in this city were far more tangled and complicated than I had ever imagined.