Chapter Fourteen: The Man

• Suki Nakamura •

   A smile tugged at my lips as I soaked in the warmth of the sun on my face. Stretching out on the grass, I let the cool breeze play with my hair, while the birds overhead put on a cheerful concert. It felt good to just lie here, like Takeru-senpai was right beside me.

"I guess your brothers are looking out for me," I mused aloud, hoping somehow he could hear. "Not that I asked, but they're doing it anyway. Kinda like you."

Thinking about it, it was nice to have someone around. "Having someone to count on, that's not bad," I admitted with a sigh. "Just hope I don't get too used to it. I've had enough disappointment to last a lifetime."

My day off had finally arrived, giving me the chance to visit Takeru's resting place. Among all the chaotic spots in the Sannoh Region, this serene grave was my sanctuary. It felt like a different world, far removed from the craziness of the town.

Having paid my respects, I returned to the unit. Masaki had intended to drop by, but I declined, explaining that I was planning a quiet day indoors. 

Opening the fridge, a heavy sigh escaped my lips when I saw its bareness. I shut it with a sense of frustration, grabbing my belongings before heading to the supermarket. This task was familiar territory, a reminder of the countless errands I used to run for my distant relatives. They'd send me to buy groceries, but the food was never shared.

I carried two bags and strolled back home; the supermarket wasn't too far from the unit. Hiroto's motorcycle was parked downstairs, so I figured he might be in the unit. I just hoped he wasn't shirtless again.

"I'm not even planning to go out today; this is ridiculous," I complained as I entered the unit and saw Hiroto lounging on the couch, engrossed in TV.

Hiroto rolled his eyes, glancing at me. "Can you chill? Masaki asked me to bring you these."

My gaze shifted to the bags he'd set on the table, filled with strawberries and apples. "I'm allergic to strawberries."

"Seriously?" His brow furrowed as he got up.

"Just kidding, they're my favorite." I grabbed a strawberry and popped it into my mouth. As I looked up, I caught him watching my lips. "Want one?"

"No," he replied, his eyes meeting mine. "You brought groceries?"

I hummed in response as I began to put the food away. Hiroto leaned against the window, observing the people outside with his hands on his hips. Once I had finished storing the groceries, Hiroto closed the window.

It might seem awkward to have nothing to do in such a confined space, but I had grown accustomed to Hiroto's presence. Silence between us had become a comfortable norm.

My gaze followed him as he headed towards the bathroom, but he abruptly halted by the door. He closed his eyes briefly before turning to face me. "What?" I asked.

"Your... You have your..." His hesitant words piqued my curiosity, and I got up to check what had caught him off guard. As I glanced into the bathroom, my cheeks warmed in embarrassment at the sight of the underwear I had washed the previous night hanging inside.

"What's the matter? Afraid of my underwear? They don't bite," I teased, trying to keep a straight face despite my amusement.

Hiroto groaned, clearly flustered by my response. "Are you always like this? Take them down, I need to use the bathroom."

"Go ahead, but they're still damp so I clearly can't take them down," I informed him matter-of-factly, adding, "And it's just you."

He let out a sigh, his exasperation evident. "Suki..."

I found myself momentarily frozen, struck by the sound of my name on his lips. It felt both unfamiliar and strangely compelling, a combination that made me want to hear him say it again and again.

Hiroto leaned against the wall, his hand positioned above my head. The proximity between us closed, and my heart raced with an intensity I had never experienced before. 

"I'm still a man," he murmured, his words hanging in the charged air.

For the first time, I couldn't think of a way to get out of this.