Chapter Sixteen: A Child's Game

• Suki Nakamura •

   An impatient, thunderous knock on the door almost ended with my mascara wand poking my eye. Annoyed, I dropped the wand and marched to the door, swinging it open to find Hiroto standing there.

"What the hell?" I fumed, but I was surprised when Hiroto chuckled at my reaction. So, he smiles, huh?

"Just wanted to see your reaction," he strolled in casually as I stepped back.

"I could've aimed for your nose, but I held back. I'm not up for drinking alone at the club tonight," I glared at him, then returned to the bathroom sink to finish my makeup.

"Are you done yet?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes, quickly finishing my lipstick before stepping out. He was absorbed in watching the news on TV. I cleared my throat, and his gaze lingered on my face with an unreadable expression, traveling down my body with an intense look.

"Are you sure about that outfit?" he inquired, focusing back on my face.

I put my hands on my hips, raising an eyebrow. "What's wrong with it?" I sported black pants and a black lace corset top. It wasn't my typical style, but with Hiroto accompanying me, I felt assured that no one would hassle me all night.

But I wouldn't let him know that; it would just boost his ego, and that was the last thing I wanted.

"Nothing. Let's go," he grabbed his leather jacket and keys, leading the way out of the unit.

Arriving at the club with the infamous Amamiya brother brought a mix of excitement and unease. Hiroto was instantly recognized, creating a buzz even before we dismounted from his motorcycle.

The bouncers didn't question him, promptly opening the doors. It made me doubt whether he truly wasn't the clubbing type. Following him inside, the pounding music, and mingled scents of alcohol, smoke, and sweat enveloped us.

To speed up getting accustomed to it all, you needed shots. I snagged the sleeves of his leather jacket, guiding him through the crowd toward the bar. "Two shots, please," I requested from the bartender, who nodded promptly.

"I'm not planning to get hammered," he whispered in my ear, trying to ignore the way his breath sent shivers down my spine.

"One shot won't do that," I retorted, passing him a full shot glass. We both downed it together. His expression remained unfazed as he put the shot glass down and scanned the place.

"Hey, let's dance!" a spirited young woman grabbed my arm, her scent tinged with alcohol like so many others. Yielding to her enthusiasm, she tugged me toward the dance floor, though my attention remained fixed on Hiroto, anchored in his spot, calmly savoring his drink.

"Come on!" I urged Hiroto, but he merely shook his head.

I shrugged and joined the crowd, relishing the moment. As I moved to the rhythm, I caught sight of Hiroto conversing with two women. He sipped his drink, seemingly disinterested in the girls' attempts to charm him.

Driven by an impulse, I found myself marching back, reclaiming my spot next to him. I grabbed his cup, downed its contents in one go, and handed it back. "Just what I needed," I said, leaning towards Hiroto before addressing the surprised girls.

"Can we help you?" I inquired, arching an eyebrow at the now-startled pair.

They scoffed and walked away, murmuring to each other. I turned to Hiroto, who raised an eyebrow at me.

"What?" I feigned nonchalance, taking a step back. "Consider it a favor."

"I never said thanks," he retorted, a smirk playing on his lips, waiting for an explanation I struggled to provide.

"They weren't exactly genuine; I was just looking out for you," I shrugged, feeling unsure about my actions. What on earth am I doing?

"Jealousy does not look good on you," he murmured so close that I could feel his warm breath against my ear.

I snapped, glaring at him. "Jealousy's a kid's game. I don't do that."

"So, if I went and picked up a girl right now, took her home, you wouldn't mind?" His words caught me off guard, a lump formed in my throat. What was it with this atmosphere?

"Of course not, Hiroto," I replied, locking eyes with him, aiming to tease.

"Fine," he grabbed his jacket and looped an arm around my waist, "let's go then."

I held my breath, placing a hand on his chest. "What?"

"Come on, you're my girl tonight."