Chapter Six: The First Night

• Suki Nakamura •

   "You have no respect! You have no decency! What the hell are you still doing here—naked!" I yelled at Hiroto while I hide by the front door, putting on the clothes I took off.

I try to shake the image of a shirtless Hiroto out of my head. I can't believe he has such an amazing body—that's not the point right now. Why did he shower at my place? Technically, his place but he lent it to me now!

"I-I thought you won't be home this early!" He justified but as his voice stuttered, he failed to make his point.

"Well, I'm sorry I wanted to my food in this unit!" I replied sarcastically and when I was finally dressed, I walked back towards the bathroom door that was still closed.

Hiroto came back out fully dressed yet I still see the picture of his naked torso in my head.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, then my eyes fell on the cut right above his eyebrow. "Is that a cut? Did you get into a fight—You know what? I don't care, get out."

"It's not like I wanted to come back here." He rolled his eyes, "My motorcycle slipped in the rain and it's being repaired right now, there are no buses or taxis in this stupid area around this time so I'm stuck here 'til tomorrow."

"What? So I'm just gonna have to share a room with you?" I crossed my arms and glared at him.

"Can you relax? If anyone should be worried here, it's me." He rolled his eyes.

"Oh really?" I replied sarcastically and rested a hand on my hip.

"Yes really, because I'm the one who has to sleep here with you." He shook his head.

The night got darker by the minute and nothing but the sound of the TV and the rain outside was heard. The both of us kept a safe 6-meter distance from each other, sitting on opposite ends of the couch. I started to feel tired and was ready to go to bed when suddenly, he stood up and walked towards me.

"What are you doing?" I said hastily as he followed me.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Hiroto retorted, a touch of annoyance in his voice. "I'm going to bed, just like any normal person would."

I raised an eyebrow, my guard still up. "And where exactly is this 'bed' of yours?"

He smirked, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Well, since I kindly lent you my place, I guess I'll have to make do with the couch."

I let out a scoff, trying to hide the nervous flutter in my chest. "Fine, suit yourself. But don't expect me to make any accommodations for you."

He shrugged, a nonchalant facade masking the underlying tension. "I wouldn't dream of it."

I turned away, heading towards the bed, my steps measured and deliberate. I could feel his gaze on me, the weight of his presence lingering in the room. There was an undeniable magnetism that tugged at my senses, a tantalizing dance of attraction and resistance.

No, Suki. I shook my head at the ridiculous thought.

As I settled into the bed, pulling the covers tightly around me, I couldn't help but steal a glance back at Hiroto. He reclined on the couch, his expression stoic, but I caught a flicker of vulnerability in his eyes before he averted his gaze.

We were two strangers trapped in a confined space, the silence was heavy with unsaid words and unexplored emotions.

Closing my eyes, I tried to push the thoughts of Hiroto and the charged atmosphere to the back of my mind. But even in the darkness, I couldn't escape the electricity that crackled between us.

Minutes turned into hours, and the stillness of the night enveloped us. I found myself drifting in and out of sleep, my mind restless, wrestling with the conflicting emotions that swirled within me.

A subtle rustling caught my attention, and I cracked open an eye to finding Hiroto standing by the couch, his figure illuminated by the glow of the moon filtering through the window. There was an air of uncertainty about him, a vulnerability he tried to mask.

I watched as he moved to adjust the blanket on the couch, his movements were careful and deliberate. The distance between us felt both vast and impossibly small, it was almost suffocating.

At that moment, a sense of understanding washed over me. We were both guarded, both battling our own demons.

Closing my eyes once more, I let out a quiet sigh, allowing myself to surrender to the fatigue that weighed heavily upon me. 

As sleep finally claimed me, I could only wonder what the dawn would bring.