I'm Not Dead

Zola nearly ran into her mom as she arrived back in the living room. Maggie and Amelia were close by getting the other kids ready to go outside. Maggie was putting Bailey's coat on and Amelia was helping Ellis with her boots.

"Woah, what's the rush?" Meredith asked with a confused look as she caught Zola.
"Scarlett's not breathing," the young girl got out as fast as she could. Instantly, Meredith looked to Amelia.
"What?" Amelia asked and lifted her head up.
"She looked pale and she wasn't breathing and I couldn't hear her heart," Zola explained with a worried look.

Amelia ran into the kitchen and grabbed something then rushed to Scarlett's room. Meredith looked to Zola and said,
"Can you put a show on for your brother and sister? We need to go check on Scarlett."
Zola nodded so Maggie and Meredith followed Amelia.

When they walked in, Amelia was administering NARCAN and was in tears.
"Please wake up," Amelia begged as she brushed some hair out of Scarlett's face.

The girl's breathing was extremely shallow and infrequent and she was paler than usual. She was lying on her bed as still as a corpse with her poor mother hunched over her.

"What happened?" Maggie asked as she made her way over.
"She overdosed," Amelia said and held up the bottle of pills.

Maggie rushed over and checked for a pulse and when she found a weak one she looked over at Meredith who was already on her phone with the hospital.
"They're sending an ambulance," she told them as she put her phone down and ended the call.

Amelia just stared at Scarlett's motionless figure and prayed to God she would be okay. Amelia Shepherd wasn't one to be found speechless, but in this moment she was at a loss for words. She felt her own breathing speed up and her hands started to shake. Amelia looked up and screamed,
"I swear to God if you take her from me-" but she wasn't able to finish her sentence. She nearly choked on her words and lowered her head onto her daughter body sobbing.

Once the NARCAN had a moment to settle it, Scarlett's breathing got better and her eyes slowly opened. When they did Amelia sighed and sat back a little.
Her hands were still shaking, but now her tears were tears of relief.
"Oh my god," Amelia said and her voice cracked. She placed a hand on her daughter's face and her frown broke into a small smile.

Scarlett opened her eyes to find her mother hovering above her shaking. Then her eyes darted to Maggie who had on a very concerned look. Meredith was standing a little further back but Scarlett could tell she was on edge as well.

The ambulance showed up within minutes and Amelia rode with her daughter in the back. As the emt worked on Scarlett, Amelia would not take her eyes off of the girl. She was worried that if she looked away for one moment her child would vanish.

When they got to the hospital, Amelia refused to leave Scarlett's side. The girl was examined and looked at by Owen Hunt. Amelia wanted Scarlett to stay the night just in case there were any lingering side effects.

Once they were settled in a room with privacy, Amelia finally asked,
"Scarlett, I'm scared to ask you this, but was that... was that a suicide attempt?" Amelia knew she needed the answer but at the same time a part of her didn't want to know.

Scarlett looked at her mother and sighed.
"I wasn't trying to kill myself. It was an accident, I swear."
Amelia sighed and then recomposed herself.
"What happened then?"
Scarlett felt her insides turn.
"I was just really overwhelmed and stressed out and it was the only way I knew how to cope," she answered truthfully.
"What were you stressed about?" Amelia questioned.
Scarlett paused for a moment and then decided on saying,
"Alexa told people about Noah. She told Matt about him and that's why we're not friends anymore."
Amelia nodded and then said,
"So what's the deal with Noah?"