Just Like a Pill

The next day, Amelia picked Scarlett up at the same time and brought her to a meeting. Once again, Scarlett just listened. When the meeting ended, she was dropped back off at home.

That whole next week, Amelia and Scarlett texted at least once a day. Amelia made sure to check in and keep the girl on track. Scarlett had been clean and sober since she overdosed the week before, but it was a struggle for her. She used to smoke every night to help her sleep but since she was now drug free she couldn't. Scarlett would have to load up on melatonin to fall asleep. Some nights she'd even pull all nighters or stay up until sunrise. Scarlett found herself more irritable than usual and ready to snap at any moment. That Friday night the lack of sleep got the better of her and Scarlett lost it.

After Scarlett showered, Sam asked her and Luke to set the table for dinner while she cooked. Both kids listened to her and right when they finished, Travis walked over to the door and called,
"I'm going to Nick's for dinner."
"No you're not. You're grounded, remember?" Scarlett said to him as he passed her.

That week, Travis and his friend Nick crashed Travis' brand new car. So as punishment, Sam grounded him for two weeks.

"We'll see about that," Travis said with a smirk.
"Trav, just sit down. Mom just finished cooking dinner," Luke said to his younger brother.
"Oh please. We both know Mom isn't going to make me stay here for dinner," Travis said back with a bit of an attitude. Right when he said that, Sam walked in with a plate of grilled chicken.
"Where do you think you're going?" Sam asked Travis.
"Can I go to Nicks for dinner? His parents are ordering pizza," Travis said.
Sam shrugged and said,
"I guess so."
Scarlett was shocked.
"But he's grounded," Scarlett said.
"He learned his lesson," Sam told the girl.
"So does that mean I'm not grounded anymore?" Scarlett asked.
"Why would you ask me that? You are two different people, grounded for different reasons. All he did was get into a small car accident and you... well you killed your father," Sam spat in Scarlett face. Scarlett felt her insides heating up when Sam said that to her.
"Stop saying that!" Scarlett yelled and clenched her fists.
"Do not raise your voice at me young lady! Don't make me add another week," Sam threatened as she set the food down on the table.
"Are you fucking serious?" Scarlett asked. She couldn't believe it.
"That's it! You're grounded for an extra two weeks. You go to school and you come home. That's it!" Sam turned and yelled at her.
"I will not have you cursing at me in my own house," she added.
"This isn't your house! And I did not kill my father!" Scarlett yelled back.
"By the way, Scar snuck out of the house last Saturday and Sunday," Travis said before turning to leave. Scarlett glared at Travis before lunging at him ready to punch him in the face. However, Luke held her back.
Travis shot Scarlett a smile before slipping out the door.
"You fucking asshole," Scarlett screamed as she tried to fight Luke. Luke was bigger and stronger so he had to upper hand. Sam walked over to Scarlett and slapped her across the face to get her to stop yelling.
"I will not have you talking to my kids like that! Go to your room. We'll talk about your punishment in the morning. Now, get out of my sight!" Sam said to her sternly.
"Gladly," Scarlett muttered before ripping her arm out of Luke's grip.
"Crazy bitch," Scarlett muttered as she pushed past Sam.
"What did you just call me?" Sam asked and grabbed Scarlett's arm. Scarlett looked into Sam's eye and genuinely feared for her safety in that moment so she said nothing.
"That's what I thought," Sam said to her before letting her go.

Scarlett raced up the stairs and into her room, slamming the door behind her. Then she locked the door and broke down crying. She missed her dad. Her father would never hurt her, let alone raise his voice at her. Scarlett felt her phone buzz. It was her friend Jack. Jack was also one of her dealers and he texted and said he could get her a really good deal on some pills, oxy to be more specific. Scarlett instantly texted him back saying she'd take them and that she'd meet him tonight. After responding to her text, Scarlett wiped her eyes and looked around her room. She quickly packed a bag with some clothes, and then climbed out her window. There was a tree next to her window which she used to climb down. As soon s she landed, she hit the ground running. She made it to the bus stop where Jack planned to meet her. As she was waiting there, she couldn't stop the tears from rolling down her cheeks. She felt her phone buzz again but before she got the chance to check it, a car pulled up and the driver rolled down his window. Scarlett didn't recognize him.
"Hey, are you Scarlett? Jack sent me," the guy said.
Scarlett sighed. She took out her money and handed it to the guy in exchange for a bottle of pills.
"Thanks," she said to him before he drove off, leaving her all alone again. However, now she had drugs. She sat back down and opened up the pill bottle to look at what she got. Then she remembered someone texted her. She was worried it was Sam. However, it was Dr. Shepherd checking in to see how she was. Scarlett sighed and closed the pill bottle. Then she thought for a second and decided to call Dr. Shepherd.