Funeral

The next morning, Scarlett woke up and at first she was confused as to where she was. She sat up quick and looked around the room. Then she sighed when she realized she was at Amelia's house.
Amelia.
Scarlett looked over to find the bed made. Amelia must've gotten up already. The teen glanced at the clock that read 9:00. Her father's funeral was in about three hours. She swung her legs around the blow up mattress she was on, and she decided to get up and start the day.

Scarlett walked down stairs to find the three sisters sipping coffee and chatting as Maggie made breakfast.
"It's like she knows-" Amelia said but got cut off as Meredith said very loudly,
"Good morning, Scarlett," when she noticed the girl's presence.
Scarlett eyed Amelia before responding with a small smile and saying,
"Morning."
"How did you sleep?" Maggie asked.
"I slept well," Scarlett replied as she took a seat at the table.
Amelia walked over and handed Scarlett a plate with eggs and toast on it.
"What do you want to drink? We have water, orange juice, apple juice, milk..." Amelia listed everything they had in he fridge while she held the door open.
"Water's fine," Scarlett told her.
Amelia got the girl a glass of water and sat down across from her as she set it down.
"About last night. You don't have to call me Amelia if you're more comfortable with Dr. Shepherd. It's your call," the woman said to her sincerely.
"Oh, that's not what upset me," Scarlett lied. Then she thought for a second and said,
"I just was getting overwhelmed with the dresses and thinking about the funeral was starting to stress me out."
Scarlett looked into her mother's identical eyes and just stared for a moment. As if asking 'why now?' It was like they were having a staring contest.
Amelia nodded and then looked down away from the girl. Finally, Maggie broke the tension by talking about an upcoming surgery which distracted Amelia.

After breakfast, Scarlett took a shower and then got changed into the dress Amelia was letting her borrow. She did her hair and walked downstairs to find Amelia all ready to go in a different black dress.

"Ready?" Amelia asked.
"Do I have a choice?" Scarlett asked.
Amelia gave her a sympathetic look and then walked to the door and opened it, waiting for Scarlett. The two got in the car and headed off to the cemetery.

The entire car ride, Scarlett was silent. Amelia decided to not take it personally. She assumed it was because Scarlett was having a rough day since it was her father's funeral and all and that it had nothing to do with her. Once they got to the cemetery, they got out and walked over to where the service was being held.

Scarlett caught Sam's eye but then backed up a little so she was out of the woman's view. Amelia's body blocked their eye contact.
"You good?" Amelia asked.
Scarlett gave her a slight nod and then looked ahead at the priest who began to speak. After he spoke, Sam said a few words and then Carson's mother spoke a little. Scarlett was relieved to see her grandmother. She hadn't seen her since they moved away.

Once it all ended and Carson was lowered into the ground, the sad sound of the bag pipes could be heard throughout the entire cemetery.

"Can I go say goodbye?" Scarlett asked and looked to Amelia. She couldn't hide the tears that were forming in her eyes.
"Of course," Amelia said and started to walk over with Scarlett.

When they reached the hole in the ground, Scarlett looked around to make sure Sam was no where to be seen. Then she let it out and started sobbing.
"I'm so sorry," she cried.
The sounds and words coming from her broke Amelia's heart on the spot. She felt for the girl. She knew what it was like to lose your father at such a young age. He own father died when she was merely five years ago.
Finally, Scarlett started to compose herself. She turned and looked at Amelia who instantly opened her arms up for a hug. Scarlett fell into Amelia's embrace and just let the woman comfort her.

"What do you think you're doing here?" a sharp voice asked.
Scarlett picked her head up off of Amelia and turned to face Sam.
"What do you want from me?" Scarlett asked with a sniffle.

From a distance, an older woman started to look around and when she saw her precious granddaughter she started to walk over.

"I can't believe you had the audacity to show up here," Sam said and took a step towards them. Amelia took a step forward and said,
"This is her father's funeral. She has a right to be here."
"She killed Carson-" Sam protested.
"She was a victim in the car accident too. Scarlett did not cause the accident," Amelia cut Sam off and spoke in a louder voice, overpowering the other woman's.
"Dr. Shepherd's this is a family matter. It's none of your business so I suggest you back off," Sam warned.
"No, it became my business the moment they entered my hospital," Amelia said back.
Before Sam could reply, Scarlett caught her grandmother's eye and rushed over for a hug. The woman held her granddaughter close and kissed her head. This was Carson's mother. Scarlett didn't have living grandparents on her mother's side. They died years ago and Kelly, Scarlett's mom, only had one sister who lived in New York who was alive.

Amelia watched Sam turn and walk away in defeat. Then Amelia awkwardly walked over to where Scarlett was greeting her grandmother.
With her arm still around her grandmother, Scarlett said,
"Gram, this is Dr. Shepherd. She's been helping me out since Dad died."
"Oh, it's nice to meet you, Dr. Shepherd," the woman said with a kind smile and held out her hand.
"I'm Elise," the woman added.
Amelia smiled back and shook the woman's hand. Instantly, Elise recognized the woman before her but she decided to wait until later to bring it up.
"Thank you for taking care of this one. She can be quite a handful and we all know that child Carson married wasn't fit to be a mother," Elise said with a knowing look.
Amelia didn't know how to respond except nod in agreement.

After a moment, Amelia excused herself and told Scarlett she would be waiting in the car.

Elise and Scarlett talked a little while longer and then Scarlett hugged her grandmother and headed over to Amelia's car. She opened the passenger door but instead of getting in, she said,
"I think I'm going to go home with my grandparents and stay with them for a while."
Amelia was speechless. She felt like she just got her kid back, but now it seemed like she was loosing her all over again.
"You're moving to California?" Amelia asked.
"Yeah. We're leaving tonight," Scarlett told her.
"Well, I'm still just a phone call away if you need me," Amelia said with a smile.
Scarlett nodded and then with one last look, she closed he door and walked away back towards Elise.

Amelia drove off and headed towards the hospital to bury herself in work. She needed a distraction.

Later that night, Dr. Hunt went to drop off his patients chart and an older woman walked up to him.
"Excuse me," the woman said politely.
Hint turned around and asked,
"Can I help you?"
The old lady smiled and said,
"Could you point me in the direction of Dr. Shepherd?"
Right when the woman asked, Amelia was walking towards them but once she saw who Owen was talking to she did a full one eighty turn and started to walk to other way. However, Hunt saw her before she had the chance to escape.
"Amelia," he called.
She stopped dead in her tracks and forced a fake smile on her face as she turned around. As Amelia approached them, Hunt said,
"This is Dr. Shepherd."
"Thank you," Elise said with a smile and a nod as Hunt walked away.
"Elise, what can I help you with?" Amelia asked politely.
Elise's smile faded and she said,
"I know who you really are."