Chapter 20

Adrien

"What did yours say?"

He had been dreading that question. He ignored Alya, pretending that he hadn't heard her. In all honesty, he didn't have the balls to read his. Marinette had probably written an apology to him, about how she couldn't love him but that he was a great friend. He would rather die than read something like that from her.

"Adrien?"

He finally glanced up at her, looking into Marinette's icy blue eyes. Eyes that had haunted him for years. Eyes that invades his thoughts and his dreams constantly. As it should be. A soulmate was supposed to have that effect on you. Why didn't it work for her?

"Well? What did it say?" Alya asked again, and he dropped his gaze.

"I haven't read it yet."

Silence cloaked the table, suffocating each person sitting there. He closed his eyes, leaning back against the hard wood of the booth.

"I just wanted to save it for later." He admitted, though that wasn't the case.

He couldn't bring himself to read it. Not after everything.

"Oh." Alya murmered, and once again, they were bathed in silence.

It would be dark soon. They had been at this stupid Cafe for a couple of hours, with Alya reminiscing. He knew she was just trying to cling to the moments she had left with Marinette. But she should be at home. With her family. Not here. He dreaded going home though. Natalie had already called him twice. He swore to himself if she called again, that he would answer. It would be the perfect excuse to leave this uncomfortable funeral. Alya acted as if he wasn't going to die too. Though, he didn't mind that as much. Less attention. He'd probably throw himself into oncoming traffic if she started with stories about him.

"I'm going to miss this." Alya whispered, as if desperate to avoid anymore silence.

"Me too. But I should get home. The sun should be setting soon."

Marinette pulled her wallet out, and Alya quickly covered it with her hand.

"I've got it."

Marinette didn't argue, and he accidentally met her gaze. She said nothing and for a second, the two of them just stared at one another. Flashes of what could have been sank into his mind like an anchor. He could have been happy with her. He could have lived with her. He would have done anything to make her happy. If only he had been good enough. She looked away, shattering the memories of a life he never had, and would never get to experience.

"No goodbyes. I'll miss you all. See you around." She said flatly, and gave a small wave as she darted out the door.

"Adrien..." Nino sighed and he stood, shaking his head at his friend.

"I've gotta get home too. Remember what I told you. Bookshelf." He said as he pulled out a wad of cash and tossed it onto the table.

It was where he would hide his miraculous. Plagg was under strict orders that if Nino hadn't retrieved the ring by the first acuma attack, that he would have to go find him.

"But i-"

Adrien patted him on the shoulder, slipping out of the booth. He said nothing else as he walked out, his mind once again drifting to his soulmate. He almost wanted to be with her when it happened. Instead of alone, at a home that never felt like home in the first place. Would she be scared? No, he didn't think so. Marinette wasn't a coward. She was a warrior. A savior. She would face it head on, and he was determined to match her resolve. He wouldn't cry. He wouldn't mourn for himself. But he could mourn for her. Even if she didn't love him.