5

"jasper!" Alice screamed distantly. then, very close to me, I could hear her say quickly in a worried tone, "oh my god, ada..."

I groaned with displeasure. so much of my body was in pain, particularly a spot on the right side of my head that throbbed awfully. I wanted to cry but I thought it would hurt more. there was also a terrible pain in my right arm and on my back where Jasper dug his nails into me. I didn't even have the capacity to wonder what had happened or why. I just felt pain, and it felt fucking bad.

I was moved around, Alice was shouting, then someone else was talking, and everything was muffled and I couldn't open my eyes.

when I came around, I was lying on a sort of daybed in Carlisle's study. I knew I was being given the good stuff because my head felt light and airy like it did when I got the good stuff. I opened my eyes and saw Carlisle press his fingers into my arm. it looked really weird and I didn't even think it was my arm until I followed it back to my body with my eyes. I had to do that a few times to really convince myself it was my arm.

Carlisle said something to me that was so fuzzy and low, I couldn't understand him. then, he quickly moved my arm in such a way that my body felt an awful, sharp shock of pain, pulling a terrible scream from my chest.

"I'm so sorry, it's okay, the worst part is over, I promise," Carlisle said quickly. I felt something wrapping around my arm. I was crying now, wincing, terrified that I was going to feel that pain again. "relax, it's okay."

when I came around again, I still felt a little light and airy, but not so disoriented anymore. I opened my eyes and looked around the ceiling, then tried to lift myself upright, but my right arm was in a sling wrapped around my shoulder. I used my left arm to lift myself up beneath two blankets. Carlisle was standing at the large window in the room with his back to me. he just stared outside.

I tried to recall what happened but it was a little hard with whatever meds he had given me. I didn't know what it was, but I certainly wanted more. I was thankful to have another moment with them, though- I thought I'd never feel this kind of high again. it was cozy and warm, like a blanket you thought you'd lost forever. I felt a little somber as I recollected the sexy moment with jasper and Alice turned sour with his hand tightening around my neck like a vice. I remembered smacking his shoulder, my vision blotted out from lack of oxygen, then it was black.

feeling heavy and tired, I laid myself back down on the daybed and watched Carlisle as he turned to face me, then walked over to sit in the chair facing me.

"dear god, ada," he sighed, settling into the chair, placing his hands on his knees. he looked a little disheveled, which was uncharacteristic of him.

"what's going on?" I whispered and cleared my throat. it ached.

he shook his head, looking away. "I don't know what you kids were up to..."

I smiled a bit as I remembered, but I wondered how much he knew, and then I felt a little weird. unless Alice threw these clothes on me before handing me over, he might have seen the three of us naked.

"jasper is still a little new to our... lifestyle... and sometimes... it's harder for him to... control himself... around humans," Carlisle said slowly, choosing his words carefully. "I hate to say it, but he came awfully close to... really hurting you."

I turned my head, causing more aching, and looked up at the dimly lit ceiling. the sky outside was getting bluer and darker as the sun sank beneath the horizon far away.

"he must be beside himself," Carlisle said quietly. "he ran off before i got to you. Alice is looking for him now."

I frowned at the ceiling, seeing his dark eyes in my mind. I saw Victorias eyes, I saw jaspers eyes. sex seemed to become a dangerous place for me, one only a stones throw away from death. it didn't make much sense to me, how this pattern formed or why.