6

crouched in front of the little safe in the room, I tried to remember how Carlisle's hand moved around the keypad in order to unlock it. it was only four numbers, so it couldn't be that hard. in fact, it wasn't very hard at all. I got it on the second try.

I felt very sorry to do this to him, to betray his trust and take advantage of his kindness. nothing felt worse than being sober, though.

I stole a few from each bottle, mostly benzos and painkillers, and wrapped them in a makeshift paper envelope that I shoved into my sock. I took the sock off and hid it in the bathroom under a slat beneath the sink. 

in the living room, I found Bella. she looked a little uneasy and pale, but not as bad as Edward made her out to be. I sat with her on the couch as she flipped through the channels, sipping at a glass of water. 

"what happened to you?" she asked quietly, eying my shoulder and face. 

"I've been really into boxing lately," I joked, settling into the comfortable corner of the couch. I looked up as Alice entered the room. "hey," I said, hopping to my feet a little too enthusiastically.

she looked somberly at me, surveying the damage. "hey," she said without any hint of a smile.

"is everything okay..." I asked, trailing off.

she shrugged and nodded, looking at the floor. then, she sat beside Bella and took her hands. she stared off into the distance like she did when she was looking into the future. Bella and I both watched her, waiting for her to explain what was waiting for us in time, but she hadn't seen anything.

"where's jasper?" I asked as soon as she let go of Bella's hands.

"he's not home right now," she said gently, a bit aloof. 

"is he okay?" I pressed, still standing awkwardly in front of the couch. Bella looked at me as if I was being dramatic. 

Alice nodded, looking distant. "do you need anything, Bella?" 

Bella shook her head slowly, looking between the two of us, trying to piece together what was going on. Alice got up and left the room. 

"what the fuck?" Bella mouthed at me. frowning, I sat back on the couch.

"it's nothing," I mumbled, looking at the TV. she flipped on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

"so, are you really pregnant?" I asked a few minutes later.

"um... yeah," she said, looking down at her slightly bloated belly. it just looked like she ate too much pizza. "it's weird, isn't it?"

I nodded. "really weird."

she shrugged. "I'm excited."

I was happy to hear she was in good spirits about it, despite how Edward felt. I guess I'd feel a little suicidal too if I had to end my honeymoon early because I impregnated my new wife with a vampire baby.

feeling sorry for myself with what happened between Alice, jasper and I, I finally called Jake and asked him if I could come over. he immediately agreed, telling me he was sorry, etc.

when I pulled up to his house, he was sitting outside on the porch with his shirt off. he rarely kept his clothes on in the summer.

his happy eyes darkened when I came around the truck and he saw the bandage on my head, the sling around my shoulder, and the bruising all over my body, particularly my neck. 

"oh my god," he gasped, rushing to his feet. "did you get fucking jumped? what happened?"

he stood in front of me, holding my good arm gently, grazing my sore throat with his thumb. he looked mortified. 

I actually didn't come up with a plan to explain the situation to him. I felt terribly underprepared and anxious. I opened my mouth to try and come up with something, but nothing came out. 

"ada," he pressed, lowing his head to look into my eyes. "who was it? I'll fucking kill them."

I shook my head. "it's nothing, Jake, I didn't even see who it was," I lied, looking away from him. "lets just go inside, it's hot out."

I went into his house and immediately headed for his bedroom so his father wouldn't see how I looked. 

in his room, I sat at the foot of his bed. i looked up at him as he stood leaning against the door frame. 

"I'm really, really sorry, Jake," I said gently. "I was such a bitch to you the other night, and that's the last thing you deserve from me. I don't know why I acted like that. I was just really desperate to get high."

he nodded, looking sad, almost as if he was going to cry. "it's okay, ada, I understand. I'm not mad."

"you might not be mad, but, it still wasn't right," I said, frowning. he walked over and sat beside me on the bed, then wrapped an arm loosely around me. he kissed my cheek. 

"I understand," he said quietly. 

"I love you," I said, turning my head cautiously so I wouldn't twist the muscle too quickly. 

"I love you too," he said gently, gingerly leaning in for a kiss. he kissed me softly and sweetly and we just sat there together for a little, connected by the lips. 

"you really don't know who did this?" he asked seriously after we parted. I shook my head. 

we spent a little while in his bed watching episodes of the Twilight Zone, cuddling and talking about memories of our dads watching black and white TV when we were kids, and even now. 

"speaking of kids," I said, trying to hide an anxious smile, "guess who's pregnant?"

he grew pale and serious. "what?"

"oh, I'm sorry," I said, laughing. "it's not me, honey, I didn't mean to scare you."

he sighed and looked away. "wow, you really fucking scared me for a second."

"what, you don't want to have a baby?" I asked, pouting.

"no, of course, I love kids... but right now?"

I nodded. it would be pretty fucking insane of me to get pregnant mid-pill addiction.

he took a deep breath and sighed. "who's pregnant?"

I started to realize that maybe I shouldn't have brought it up. it wasn't my news to share. but Jake was my boyfriend, wouldn't it be weird not to tell him that my sister was pregnant? right?

he nudged my good shoulder. 

"um, bella," i said uncertainly.

he looked confused, then a little sad, then angry. "are you sure? how do you know?"

"they came home last night," I said quietly, looking down at my hands. "I don't think I was supposed to tell anyone."

he stood up quickly with his arms wrapped tightly around himself. he paced the room like he sometimes did when he got worked up.

"what's the matter?" I said, sitting upright. 

"that's really bad," Jacob said, shaking his head. "this is really bad. this is going to be really bad."

"calm down," I said quietly, waving at him to come and sit beside me again. he didn't.

"this might be really bad," he said, continuing to pace. "fuck."

"come sit," I said, patting the space beside me.

"I have to get over there," Jacob said, grabbing his keys off his desk, heading out into the hallway.

"wait," I said, scrambling to my feet. "I don't think you're supposed to know yet!"

"but I do, and I have to say something before it's too late," he said seriously, continuing towards the front door.