CHAPTER THREE - Augusta vs Pedro

Augusta crossed her arms and faced her friend, Priya. "I'm going to tell Mr Morgan I can't do it," she said.

"I would have liked the chance to tutor Pedro," Priya admitted in a quiet voice. She slammed her locker shut, and fiddled with her security lock.

Augusta scoffed and looked at her petite, chubby friend. Priya's long black hair was in a neat ponytail braid that reached her waist, and contrasted with her golden skin. Her rosy cheeks revealed her feelings.

"Don't tell me you're a fan girl too, Priya."

"I'm not a fan girl. I'm just a sucker for redemptive arcs in character development," Priya stated, blinking her pale brown eyes.

"I should tell you that all the Brontë classics have gotten to your head, but instead I'll tell you you're going to be a great literature professor someday, Priya."

"Thank you. That means a lot to me, Augusta," she giggled. "You're not easy to please."

Augusta gave her a playful shove. "I'm not difficult to please. I just like things to be done in the right way."

"Same thing."

"No it's not."

Priya shook her head and Augusta shrugged. They stood huddled together in the hallway as a multitude of noisy students rushed to and fro. Some going from one class to another, others rushing to meet their friends. A few random lovebirds did not give a damn about public displays of affection, and exchanged passionate kisses before clinging to each other.

Augusta cringed. "That's disgusting," she said. "Check three o'clock," she whispered.

Priya snapped her head in that direction. The kissing duo looked at her and rolled their eyes. They flipped her the bird for added effect before continuing their make out session.

"Right. Speaking of redemptive arcs, I'm sure you've learned your lesson and you'll be more discrete in the art of spying next time," Augusta said, tongue in cheek.

The shrill, school bell rang and they both jolted. "Screw them. I've got History now," Priya replied. "Catch you later." She rushed to her class down the hall.

"Yeah. Bye. I'm going to see Morgan. Off to the chopping block before Physics."

"Don't be so dramatic, Augusta," Priya called over her shoulder.

***

Principal Morgan looked at Augusta and she resisted the urge to narrow her eyes at him. It was quite clear that he had already established the plan to put the golden boy back on his feet. Pedro 'Pretty Boy' Milian should have had to get off his high horse and face the music on his own. He was a football star so he was going to get training wheels instead.

"Sir, I think the peer educator concept is great and I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from it," she said.

"But?"

"I'm not the right person for Pedro."

Mr Morgan rose from his chair and stood near the window, looking out at the football field in the distance and nodding as she spoke. Augusta trailed him with her eyes. Sunlight streamed through the spacious principal's office and birds chirped in the trees outside.

She suspected he was about to launch into a heart wrenching motivational speech-about teamwork and making a difference in society. Both of which were good in theory, but practical application was another thing entirely.

"Augusta, do you know one of the most valuable lessons I learnt when I served in the Army?"

Here we go. Augusta closed her eyes for a moment to stifle an eye roll. " No, sir."

The Roseview High Rumorsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें